14

Cassie was in the library serving her last detention. Madam Pince had decided she would help clean the library before the end of term. There were books to be polished and rearranged after students had never bothered to put them back. Somehow gum had been stuck on the underside of the tables as well. Assisting her was none other than the Weasley twins and Angelina Johnson.

"Please kill me now," Cassie muttered under her breath as Madam Pince explained the duties.

"Now, go on," said Madam Pince. "I expect this library to be spotless when I come back and don't go into the restricted section, all right? Off limits as always."

"Well, this should be fun," Angelina spoke.

"You want to kill me, Angelina?" Cassie remarked. "By all means, go ahead. If it means you'll rot in Azkaban for the rest of your life— "

"Let's get this over with," said Fred, grabbing Cassie's shoulders and pushing her away into an aisle.

"Get your hands off me," Cassie snarled.

"What is your problem?" said Fred curiously.

"My problem?" Cassie replied. "My problem is this school and its students, especially the ones sorted into Gryffindor."

She pushed a book back into its place. It was silent for a long time. As Fred and Cassie were cleaning and putting books back, George and Angelina were cleaning the tables and chairs.

"Why d'you think Fred's taken such an interest in Malfoy?" asked Angelina.

George shrugged. "I don't know. Even between twins, there is stuff we hide from one another."

"Can't you ask?"

"Jealous much?" George teased.

Angelina glared at him and her eyes darted to Cassie and Fred with daggers shooting out of them.

"I got that," said Fred. He took the book, placing it in the spot she couldn't reach. He looked down at her and into her cold eyes. He was intimidated at first, but her eyes were mysteriously beautiful.

Cassie stared at him confused. She had flushed a light shade of pink as she looked at him. Never did Cassie ever look at him and think, "he's cute", but this time, she did.

"You know," Fred began, continuing his work. Cassie snapped out of her trance-like state. "The scar on your neck, where'd you get it from?"

Cassie brushed her finger along her scar. "I don't know. Must have happened when I was a baby. I've had it ever since I could remember."

"Parents never said anything?" asked Fred.

"Why do you care?" Cassie queried. "We aren't friends, quite the opposite, really."

"Can't we be?" said Fred sheepishly, trying to sound confident in his tone. "Friends. Or at least let's not glare at each other in the halls whenever you see me."

"Does it look like I'm glaring at you? No, I'm glaring at Angelina cause my death stare is the only thing I can do without getting shipped off to Azkaban," Cassie said, glancing at her.

"So friends?"

Cassie paused, flustered. "How could he say that when we're enemies?" she thought to herself, then said aloud, "C-come on. The faster this is done, the faster I can go to my dorm and pack."

Fred smirked.

"Thought you were staying for the holidays," Fred said. "I overheard Harry saying you two were staying."

"No, I'm visiting someone," Cassie said. She didn't know why she said that; why she was being truthful. "No one really knows, not even my parents."