75

Cassie looked at people standing before them at the front. Fred wasn't there and neither was Tonks or Lupin. She felt a sickness take over her and she looked around, hoping they were just further in the back or to the right.

The Dark Lord turned to his followers. "Harry Potter is dead!" The people surrounding Cassie had laughed and Voldemort had given a triumphant, smug laugh. "And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us... or die."

Lucius had spotted his son in the crowd. The soot and ash from the fire were smeared on his face and he hadn't moved. "Draco!" Lucius sighed. "Draco... "

"Draco... " Narcissa said calmly. "Come."

Cassie had nodded her head slightly and Draco walked towards them. He crossed the courtyard, then the Dark Lord had wrapped his arms around him. When he let go, Draco had gone to his mother and Cassie, ignoring his father's attempt to reach out to him.

"Draco... " Cassie said quietly after placing an enchantment so no one but him could hear her. She gave him the wand Potter had dropped. "He's still alive. Draco, he can beat him. You'll know when the right time is and I'll cover you."

Draco hesitated, then took the wand and hid it in his sleeve.

"And who is this?" said the Dark Lord as Neville had walked forth. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh. "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"I'd like to say something!" Neville said.

"Well, Neville, I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say," said the Dark Lord.

"It doesn't matter that Harry is gone," Neville began.

"Stand down, Neville!" Seamus advised.

"People die every day!" Neville continued. "Friends, family. Yeah... We lost Harry tonight. He's still with us." He put his hand to his heart saying, "In here. So is Remus... Tonks... "

Her name; hearing it put pressure on Cassie's heart, suffocating it, stopping its function to work properly. Then Cassie pieced it together and looked at Addy on the other side, near McGonagall. Upon hearing Neville's speech, she had looked down, her eyes red. She was there fighting with Tonks and Lupin. She had seen it happen.

Narcissa had taken her hand, squeezing it tight knowing she was close to her. She had also known that her sister, Andromeda, had lost her husband and her only daughter.

"All of them. They didn't die in vain. But you will. Because you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us! For all of us! It's not over!"

There were gasps of shock and smiles appeared on people's faces. Neville had taken out Gryffindor's Sword from the Hat. Then, the sound of a body thudded to the ground. Potter stood up and the Dark Lord froze in shock. Draco had run across the courtyard towards the castle, tossing the wand to him.

"Confringo!" the Dark Lord blocked the spell and walked towards Potter who was running through the hall.

"Traitor!" yelled a Death Eater towards Draco who ran.

"Mum, Dad, go to the boathouse!" Cassie told them, running after Draco, but she wasn't as fast as she used to be.

The spell barely missed them as Kingsley Shacklebolt had covered them with his protection spell, then hurried them into the castle.

"We have to kill the snake," said Potter.

"Hey, Neville!" Neville, who had tried charging at them, was blasted back into the castle.