21

"Thanks," said Angelina as they were paired in Potions.

"For what?" asked Cassie, writing the effect on her piece of parchment.

"For quitting," she explained as she poured the next ingredient into the cauldron. "Well, for standing up to Flint and their dirty ways."

"Well, might as well put me in Hufflepuff. All I wanted was a fair game," said Cassie.

"I'm sorry about all that stuff I said," she apologized. "And breaking your friendship with— "

"Keep your mouth shut, would you?" said Cassie quickly, looking around. "I don't need the entire school to know."

"Miss Malfoy," said Snape. "Your O.W.Ls will be arriving. I suggest less chatter and to keep an eye on your potion."

"Sorry, Professor," Cassie replied.

Half an hour later, Snape assigned an essay, then called Cassie back. She grabbed her textbooks, walking up towards the front.

"Yes, Professor?"

"I need to speak to you about your career path," said Snape. "I know you have a desire to be an Auror— "

"Not anymore," Cassie interrupted. He raised his eyebrow, intrigued. "I mean, over the holidays, I've spoken to my parents. They thought I should work in the Ministry — Magical Law Enforcement or the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

"And do you agree, Miss Malfoy, with your parents?" he asked.

"Well, it'd put me out there into the wizarding world, but I think it would be interesting to teach at Hogwarts," said Cassie. Snape looked surprised. "It would be fun to try teaching for a semester, that way I could see why you hate us so — I mean, well... It's just... "

"That is five points from Slytherin, Miss Malfoy, do not make me take away any more points from my own house," Snape snarled. "Get going to your next lesson."

"Sorry, sir," said Cassie. She began walking away, but she turned around. "Could I get a note explaining why I'm late to class? You wouldn't want McGonagall taking points away, would you?"

"Very well," said Snape. He scribbled on a piece of paper and handed it to her.

"Thanks." She exited the classroom.

"So, what did that slimy git want?"

Cassie was startled by the voice. She had jumped, placing a hand upon her chest over where her heart would be. It was only Fred Weasley, who was grinning at her.

"Why are you still here?" asked Cassie. The dungeons were now empty.

"Thought I'd wait to accompany you," said Fred.

"You didn't have to do that— "

"I wanted to."

Cassie's cheeks turned a light shade of pink. Her heart skipped a beat at his words.

Cassie shook her head seconds later, snapping back into reality. They began to exit the dungeons. "We aren't friends, you know," said Cassie. "You don't need to wait— "

"I didn't need to do anything," said Fred, for once, looking all serious. "I wanted to. So what did Snape want?"

"Just career stuff," Cassie replied. "I guess he was going to lecture me about my grades. We didn't really get to that... "

"So what is your career path?"

"Working in the Ministry," said Cassie. "But — uh — working at a desk doing paperwork isn't exactly my thing, but the position is great."