46

Cassie had rented a place at the Leaky Cauldron, not feeling in a Christmassy mood and she didn't feel like spending it with the Tonks. The only one there to keep her company was the owl who would visit, though she had been sending letters, not returning until after a few days.

She had heard from Tonks about Mr. Weasley and his attack. She would have visited, but she was afraid for Cassie and Fred had started to avoid each other ever since the match against Gryffindor.

One evening, Cassie was playing with her darts when the door opened. Cassie had thrown a dart and luckily, the girl ducked.

"You really are trying to kill Muggle-borns, aren't you?"

"Granger?" Cassie questioned. "Sorry, erm, what are you doing here?"

"Question is, why are you spending Christmas alone?" said Hermione, giving the dart to her.

"Don't feel like celebrating," she replied. "How'd you know I was here?"

"Tonks sent me a letter," Hermione explained. "You wouldn't listen to her and I figure she hopes you'll listen to me."

"I said it already," Cassie began. "I'm not spending Christmas with people who despise me. And I don't need to see the Weasleys— "

"I think you should make up with Fred," said Hermione. "He's been complaining, Ron said so anyway."

"Great! He regrets what he said." Cassie began pushing her out. "Have a good— "

"Don't you have any regrets? You and Fred love each other. Doesn't love conquer all?"

"The stories you've read are bullshit," Cassie replied.

"You owe me a favor," said Hermione.

"No, I don't— "

"Remember that you insisted on me inviting you to Hog's Head?" she questioned.

"Damn it, Granger."

Hermione smiled proudly. "Come on. The Knight Bus is waiting outside for us. It'll take us one block away from Grimmauld Place and then we walk."

Cassie gave in. They took the Knight Bus and in less than a minute, they arrived near their destination. From the sidewalk where they were dropped off, the two walked towards the apartment buildings. Once there, Hermione rang the doorbell. After not hearing anything, Hermione knocked.

"I know you're in there," said Hermione. "Will you please come out? I want to talk to you."

The door opened a moment later.

"What are you doing here?' Potter asked. "I thought you were skiing with your mum and dad? And what is she doing here?"

"Well, to tell the truth, skiing's not really my thing," said Hermione. "So, I've come here for Christmas. But don't tell Ron. I told him skiing's really good because he kept laughing so much. Mum and Dad are a bit disappointed, but I've told them that everyone who is serious about the exams is staying at Hogwarts to study. They want me to do well, they'll understand. And Cassie was all alone for Christmas and Tonks wanted me to get through to her. She already contacted Sirius, whether he likes it or not."

"This is his house! She can't— "

"Well, technically, this is the Black's house and I am a Black," Cassie remarked.

Hermione broke their glaring eye contact as she said to Potter, "Anyway, let's go to your bedroom, Ron's mum has lit a fire in there and she's sent up sandwiches. Erm... Cassie, do you want to join?"

"No thanks," Cassie declined. "I'll just be headed to the room I'll be staying at."

Cassie walked towards her room, but something caught her eye. She entered the room and there was a large tapestry with the names of those who came before her. The Black family tree. She had been here before for a brief time, but she had never looked at it for a long time.