03

"That went quicker than I thought it would," Viola said, coming back after changing into their Slytherin robes. "You're still blushing."

"What?" said Cassie nervously. "No, I'm not. I've just — I've got makeup on."

"You hardly ever wear makeup unless it's a formal event," Addy said with a knowing smile. "Did you kiss Pucey? Sloan? Do you have a boyfriend?"

"What?! No!"

Viola and Addy exchanged looks but decided to end the conversation there. A few minutes later, the Hogwarts Express came to a halt. They exited their compartment and Cassie spotted her brother in the crowd. She made sure he had gotten off and followed Hagrid, the gamekeeper, before getting on the carriage to Hogwarts.

Always, Hagrid would take the first years down a path to the Black Lake where they would take boats to get to Hogwarts from Hogsmeade station. Cassie knew how Draco had high expectations of the school, which was why he was excited. He wanted to see if all her sister said was real or all just talk.

Every student in the Great Hall distributed themselves among four long tables accordingly. Each table was for each of the four houses: Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and Hufflepuff.

"Have you heard," said a Slytherin boy. "Harry Potter's come to Hogwarts."

"1980," Cassie thought. "1991... he's right."

A few minutes later, the great oak doors opened. A black-haired witch in emerald-green robes entered the Great Hall. Behind her were a handful of first-year students, including Draco Malfoy.

"Blimey!" exclaimed Adrian Pucey. "That's Longbottom, isn't it?"

"Longbottom... " Cassie thought. She swore she heard that name from somewhere.

Professor McGonagall grabbed a three-legged stool and the Sorting Hat. For a few seconds, there was complete silence. Then the hat twitched. The rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth and the hat began to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindor's apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make you real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall burst into applause as the hat finished its song. Cassie rolled her eyes, looking down at her empty plate. The Sorting Hat bowed to each of the four tables and then became still.

Professor McGonagall stepped forward holding a long roll of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"

A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stepped out of line, put on the hat, and sat down.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.