13

"Sorry, Madam Pomfrey," Cassie apologized as she rearranged her shelf. "I didn't mean to jinx Johnson. Well, I meant to, just didn't mean her to bump into the shelf."

"I just can't think of a reason you'd want to harm her," said Madam Pomfrey. "There are enough incidents going around."

By incidents, Cassie knew she was talking about the petrified. Not only was Mrs. Norris petrified, but so was Colin Creevey, the annoying little photographer in his first year; another Gryffindor.

"Sorry again," she said. "I'll be back next week."

"Next week, you'll be heading to the library. I hear Madam Pince requires some help."

She nodded and walked out, heading to her common room. Fortunately for her, Draco hadn't seemed to remember much about what happened in the hospital wing and Adrian never said anything to anyone.

Unfortunately, Oliver never spoke another word to her and Angelina was being a prat, as usual. They bumped shoulders in the halls during the transition to lunch. Angelina glared at her and so did she. Cassie wanted to rip her heart out, but she couldn't.

"Do you have to be like that?" asked Fred, looking back at Cassie. "She's done nothing wrong— "

"Done nothing wrong?!" Angelina exclaimed. "I crashed into a shelf cause of her."

"Yes, well you were sort of asking for it," Fred defended. Angelina shot him an angry look. "All I'm saying is to ease up a bit. Holidays are soon!"

:::

"Erm, Cassie, right?"

"The one and only," said Cassie, tired. She looked at the girl and the look of disgust came across her face. "Why are you talking to me, Granger?"

"I was wondering about something," she began to explain. "You see, I was reading about this Polyjuice potion. I heard you're top of your class so I was hoping you'd answer a question of mine."

"What is it?" Cassie asked, deciding helping her out wasn't a big deal. Cassie was quite amazed by her as she wasn't born under a wizarding family, yet she knew so much.

"Well, it says it takes months to brew it," Hermione said. "I was wondering how you could shorten the process."

"There isn't one," said Cassie.

"But there must— "

"There isn't," Cassie reiterated. She sighed. "Sorry, I can't help you."

"Well, could you tell me where I could find bicorn horn and boomslang skin?"

"Why do you want to know?" asked Cassie suspiciously. "I'm guessing you know what it does. Why do you need this potion?"

"Well — I — erm — "

"You know what? I don't care," said Cassie. "Do whatever you like, not like you'll get into trouble. Potter's on your side after all. The ingredients are in Snape's private stores."

"Thanks, Cassie," she smiled.

"Don't do that — smile," Cassie told her. "Not to me."

:::

"They're starting a Dueling Club!" said Adrian. "First meeting tonight at eight. You going?"