35

"I've almost got it this time, I swear," said Adrian to Addy determinedly on our way to our Apparition lesson.

"Yeah, sure thing, babe," Addy said. She turned to Cassie and Viola and they stifled their laugh.

Viola shook her head and returned to the conversation they were having. "So? Hogsmeade this weekend?"

Cassie shook her head. "Sorry, but I'm not going. I've got to — er — make up a Herbology assignment."

"Herbology? But we haven't any homework from Professor Sprout," said Viola.

"Oh, sorry — I meant — er — History of Magic. Apparently, I was a few inches short?"

"Oh, all right then," said Viola sadly.

They entered the Great Hall. The tables had been pushed to the side and hoops were in their usual place on the opposite side of the room.

"Gather round, gather round," the instructor said. "Let us begin right away. Your test is only a month away. Now, remember the— "

"The three Ds, yes, yes," said Viola. "Destination, Determination, and Deliberation."

For the hour, many were apparating back and forth across the room. There were some screams here and there when students were splinched.

"Those of you who are seventeen by the 18th of April, you shall have your Apparition test!" he informed on their way out.

When Viola had gone to sleep, Addy glanced at Cassie. She was reading, fiddling with the necklace around her neck.

"I feel like I haven't seen you smile like that," Addy spoke. "Like you're in love."

"Yeah, I — what? I'm not in love," said Cassie quickly.

Addy laughed. "Whatever it is that's making you smile like that, keep it close to you. I couldn't bear to watch that smile go away."

Cassie smiled, looking down at her book.

:::

Cassie walked up to McGonagall and gave her the signed form for their trip to Hogsmeade. She walked towards her friends with a nervous smile.

"Thought you had to make up an assignment?" Addy said.

"Change of plans," Cassie replied. "Finished it last night."

They traveled to Hogsmeade. Once there, they visited Zonko's for a quick look around. There were the typical dungbombs and stink pellets most students would use whenever they wanted revenge or a laugh. Once in Defense Against the Dark Arts, someone had thrown such things at Professor Quirrell. He dismissed class thirty minutes early since his classroom smelled so terrible.

After, they visited Honeydukes, purchasing chocolate frogs, chocolate wands, Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, and Fizzing Whizbees.

To end their visit, they rested at the Three Broomsticks. Each ordered a butterbeer, having fun picking out jellybeans from the package, laughing once someone had eaten liver, vomit, or bogeys.

By the time Cassie knew it, the sun fell beneath the mountains and everyone was in the Great Hall for dinner. Five minutes into the dinner, she excused herself.

Once outside the castle, she smiled as she followed the redhead. Quick on their feet, they headed towards the pitch.

"This was your idea of a date?" Cassie questioned once there. "At the Quidditch pitch?"