70

Scribble.

The quills on the parchment paper were quick. Each person in the Potions classroom wrote part of their essay in class as Cassie was preparing her agenda for the next few months left at Hogwarts.

Almost everyone had heard, somehow, that the Malfoys had brought disgrace upon the Dark Lord. The other students noticed Draco had become more irritated, reserved, and mean to those who spoke about it, mainly the other Slytherins. Meanwhile, the other students had noticed Cassie had become a bit detached, tired, and stressed. It looked like she could snap at any moment.

The bell rang signaling their break. The students packed their things in a hurry and scurried out of the classroom. Just as the door was about to shut, it swung open, then was slammed shut, echoing throughout the room.

Cassie turned, looking at Neville Longbottom. She noticed he didn't seem like he wanted to fight, but he did have an irritated expression as if he didn't know what to do anymore and was going mad.

"Ginny, where is she?" Neville asked. "It's been weeks and I haven't heard a word from her."

"She went home for the holidays," Cassie replied. "She's most likely hiding. After all, we've ruled out that her brother is with Potter on the run."

Neville looked down at a small coin. Cassie recognized it and took it from him. Cassie scoffed at herself for her stupidity and said, "Waiting for a message? Don't worry, Lovegood got away."

"You know how we're communicating?" Neville asked, surprised. "You never told anyone? Snape? The Carrows?"

"I find the Carrows annoyance amusing," Cassie answered with a smile. She tossed the coin back and said, "You should be careful, Longbottom. The Death Eaters will come for you next."

:::

Cassie left her office in the night, after bedtime curfew. She headed to the seventh floor, walked through the left corridor, then passed a wall thrice.

At once, a door appeared. She walked into the room, entering a labyrinth of tall mountains of objects. She walked through it, towards the back. In a small space, Cassie took the velvet box and placed it on a flat surface.

"Hopefully Potter still has those great deduction skills from last year," Cassie muttered to herself.

Cassie was ordered to protect the diadem for the Dark Lord. She took it from the Room of Requirement and kept it in her safe. Now, after what had happened at her home, seeing her crazy aunt, she decided she didn't want it anymore and she hoped Potter would figure out where it was because the last person the Dark Lord wanted to find it was Harry Potter.

She wanted him to find it. She wanted to defeat the Dark Lord, but she was afraid her parents would pay the price for her rebelling. And she was right.

:::

Cassie was one of the few Hogwarts staff to overlook a study hall period in the Great Hall for the seventh-year students whose exams were approaching. Two other staff members were Amycus and Alecto Carrow.

Since the Carrows observed everyone closely, no one spoke a word or tried to do anything that would result in a cruel punishment. The punishment being tortured by the Cruciatus Curse.

Cassie stopped in her tracks in the middle of the room between the tables. She closed her eyes, but that only made things seem more realistic. She didn't know how it was happening, but she did know she wanted to break the connection.