12

Cassie had come back from another detention after she had insulted Lockhart, a total of one hundred points were taken away for it. She hated him and she couldn't keep her comments to herself. She was now in the library completing her essay assigned by Lockhart. Half an hour later, a Gryffindor sat a few seats down the table.

"So, after weeks of not speaking to me, you finally plucked up the courage," said Cassie, looking away from Oliver.

"Wanna practice?"

Cassie froze for a moment and the corner of her mouth curled into a smile. She glanced at Oliver, then began packing up her things.

She grabbed her broom and headed to the Quidditch pitch to meet Oliver. He was already in the air in the middle of the pitch. Cassie mounted her broom, flying up to him.

"How about a race?" Oliver suggested.

"Not to boast, but I think that's pointless," said Cassie, smirking. "But by all means."

On the count of three, they would race around the pitch three times. Cassie felt amazing on her broom. She felt free and it made her feel like she was in control.

"Looks like I win," said Cassie, smiling. "Cheer up, though. As long as you've got Potter, you're bound to win."

"You don't have faith in your brother?"

"My brother's good on a broom, but not as good as Potter, I admit that," Cassie replied.

She paused. She thought about what Flint had said. Get their plays or get kicked off and have all of Hogwarts know of your friendship with the enemy, which meant letting her parents know and disappointing them.

"So... how are you handling your practices?" asked Cassie.

"We're enemies," Oliver said. "It isn't— "

"Come on, Wood," Cassie said, punching him lightly on the arm. "I'm just trying to make some conversation. I'll go first. Flint is making us do drills, flying around the pitch. Recently we've been practicing this play Flint heard about. Forgot the name, but I'm betting you'll want your Chasers to keep a sharp eye."

"Well, we've got a few tricks up our sleeve, too."

"Hey, Oliver!" The two looked down below. Cassie glared at Angelina as she flew down, upset she only got a few minutes with Oliver.

"Wood, what's Malfoy doing here?" George Weasley asked.

"How did you know I was here?"

"Saw you heading down here, thought there was a practice we had forgotten about," he explained. "Apparently, you're just hanging out with Malfoy, our enemy."

"Look, we're — we're friends, all right? And I'd appreciate it if you accepted— "

"No," said Cassie. "They won't accept it even if they say they will. Their hatred towards me won't allow them to accept it. Quite frankly, I'm fine with it. As long as they don't say anything."

"And what'll you do if we do," said George, crossing his arms.

"I don't know," said Cassie truthfully.

"So you— "

"— Cause I don't think I'll still be around to do anything about it."

"What the hell does that mean?" Katie Bell asked.

"It won't matter, but if you're all as benevolent as they say you are, then you won't tell."

Cassie turned to Oliver, muttering a farewell. The group parted, making way for her to leave. They all turned to Oliver in need of an explanation. Angelina had this sort of angry expression. Fred and George looked clueless, Alicia and Katie were stunned, and Harry had a blank face.