07

Cassie stayed away from Oliver. She wanted to talk to him once in a while, but Angelina had made sure he was staying away from her. "She's a bad influence," she says.

From then on, Angelina and Cassie hated each other even more than before. Angelina thought Cassie was a daddy's girl who bought her way into anything and everything. She even said, "A dirigible plum doesn't just float away from the bush." Cassie thought Angelina was a pompous, arrogant show-off. Both of them had been trying to prove who's best in all their classes to one-up the other.

The end-of-the-year exams had passed and Cassie was sure she aced her potions exams. Her biggest worry was Herbology. Anyone would think Herbology is an easy pass, but to Cassie, the class bored her so much that she would zone out a couple of times until Adrian brought her back.

Near the end of term, all the school seemed to talk about was Harry Potter's latest adventure and the fight for the sorcerer's stone. Of course, most of the Slytherins could hardly bear to hear everyone praising Potter, some jinxing those who admired him too much.

The last Quidditch game had also taken place. It was Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw won by a landslide since Potter was stuck in the hospital wing after his adventure.

The day before the end-of-term feast, Cassie, Addy, and Viola checked out the hourglasses that kept track of their points. Slytherin was first, then Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, followed by Gryffindor. Cassie couldn't have been happier when she saw the Gryffindors sulking.

The next day, the feast began. The Great Hall was decked out in the Slytherin colors of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning of the House Cup for the seventh year in a row. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table.

When Harry Potter walked in, there was a sudden hush, and then everybody started talking loudly at once. Once Dumbledore arrived, the voices died away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were. You have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts...

"Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six; and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Cassie looked at the Gryffindor table smiling smugly as her eyes met Fred Weasley.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went very still. The Slytherins' smiles faded a little.

"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes...

"First — to Mr. Ronald Weasley... "

Cassie looked over at him in shock.
"What did he do that was so great?" she, along with many others, thought.

"... for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

"If he was awarding points like this, they should award us a hundred points for being the best potion-makers Hogwarts has ever seen," Viola said to Addy and Cassie.

Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"