19

It was the Hogsmeade weekend. Cassie decided not to go. She was roaming the halls when Professor Lupin approached her.

"Shouldn't you be at Hogsmeade?" he questioned.

Cassie smiled at him, shaking her head. Professor Lupin was by far the greatest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher she had ever learned from. Cassie was one of Lupin's best students in Hogwarts and despite his views on Slytherin, he was quite fond of Malfoy.

"About the werewolf accident," he began. "I'm terribly sorry."

"This again?" said Cassie. "What are you so sorry about? It's not like you're a werewolf. And even if you were, it isn't like you could control yourself."

Lupin, for perhaps the first time in weeks, genuinely smiled.

:::

Cassie came back from the holidays. Cassie was surprised that her parents were more worried than angry about her breaking two rules. Draco was annoying, as always, and when Cassie took her first step on Hogwarts perimeter, she was happier.

Months had gone by without any trouble. She was acing her assignments, praised by Sprout for her improvements in her class and Snape and Lupin even more so.

The Slytherin team had defeated Ravenclaw during their match, though they had only won by a few points. She managed to speak to Oliver before their match against Ravenclaw. Cassie didn't want Oliver to leave with bad blood between them. Though the two apologized, they never spoke to each other again. Oliver wanted to focus on Quidditch and his studies and Cassie simply didn't have the time to sneak around just to talk. She was happy enough just to hear Oliver accepted her apology.

However, she had been getting into a few detentions every once in a while. Of course, this meant she was also spending some of them with the twins. To Cassie's surprise, they never made one snarky comment (at least not aloud).

Cassie walked up the Quidditch stands with her friends. Then, Cassie saw Draco, Flint, Crabbe, and Goyle walking towards them with black hoods on.

"What're you up to?" asked Cassie suspiciously.

"No, not a good idea, Flint," said Addy. "You could get suspended from the team for this."

Flint didn't seem to hear Addy. Cassie turned to her saying, "Why? What are they doing?"

"Last time Potter played, dementors caused Harry to lose the Snitch, resulting in Hufflepuff winning the match," she explained.

"So this is their solution?" Cassie said. "Dress up like dementors and hope he'd fall for it. Potter can't be that stupid, could he?"

The Ravenclaw team walked to the middle of the field. Their Seeker, Cho Chang, was the only girl on their team. A few minutes later, the Gryffindor team walked onto the pitch.

The captains shook hands and on Madam Hooch's whistle, they took off.

"They're off, and the big excitement this match is the Firebolt that Harry Potter is flying for Gryffindor. According to Which Broomstick, the Firebolt's going to be the broom of choice for the national teams at this year's World Championship— "

"Jordan, would you mind telling us what's going on in the match?" interrupted Professor McGonagall's voice.

"Right you are, Professor — just giving a bit of background information — the Firebolt, incidentally, has a built-in auto-brake and— "