67

Once Christmas break was over, Cassie noticed the disappearances in students. She used to have Luna Lovegood in her Potions class, but she hadn't come back. Even Neville and Ginny had come up to her and asked — well, threatened her to tell them.

"I told you, I don't know where she is," Cassie said, glaring at Ginny and Neville. "I haven't left these grounds during Christmas."

"That's a lie!" said Ginny. "I know for a fact you went into the Forbidden Forest, far enough to be able to Disapparate."

"Then you should also know Addy took me there where I was ambushed by the Order," Cassie reminded. "I haven't seen your little friend. Her disappearance is just as a mystery as to why you two haven't been killed yet. The one who's been rebelling and the blood traitor. But I will tell you so you can get off my back. The only reason they aren't spilling your pure blood is because of me. Now, off to your next class."

"Damn, that was actually quite scary," said Neville on their way out. "Did you see the way she was looking at us? Her cold eyes... "

"But there wasn't an 'I will kill you' look." Ginny nodded and said, "I know. It's the same look she gave Fred."

"Is he doing all right?" he asked.

"Hard to say," Ginny replied. "Who really is doing all right in these times?"

Cassie knew exactly what had happened to Lovegood. Xenophilius Lovegood had written in the Quibbler, supporting Potter. Death Eaters didn't like that and took Luna off the train during Christmas break.

Then, a few days after Christmas, Cassie heard from Snape they were keeping her and the father in the cellar of their mansion. But what could Cassie do? She had already picked her side, even though there was still a part of her that knew it wasn't the right one.

Addy had never come back to Hogwarts. Cassie was alone again, only the Headmaster there that was willing to speak with her. He was there when Cassie couldn't handle it — the pressure and the torture she received from the Carrows and every other Death Eater out there. That was why Snape gave her the well-deserved break she needed.

On the Easter holidays, Cassie rode the train back to Platform 9 3/4 with her brother by her side. They took an empty compartment, though Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy Parkinson, and Theodore Nott had tagged along.

"Where do you think Potters at now?" asked Parkinson. "I hope they find him dead."

"Probably a coward," said Crabbe.

"Yeah," Goyle agreed. "Ran away. But the Dark Lord will find him and when he does, he'll kill him. Him and all his friends. First, he'll start with the werewolf and his freaky wife, then that Mudblood, Granger, and that whole blood traitor family." He looked at Cassie straight in the eyes. "Especially that one boy. Fred Weasley."

Cassie took the wand from her pocket and began to raise her arm but someone grabbed her hand, pushing it down. She looked at Draco, paled skin with a look of terror. He shook his head slightly and Cassie sighed.

"What?" asked Nott. "You accidentally fell for that bloke?"

"No," she said. Draco's grip on his sister's hand tightened as he sensed she might do something. "No, he was just better than you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nott asked.

"You have to admit, you liked their pranks, didn't you?" Cassie questioned. "The painted corridors, the snowballs being thrown at Quirrell's turban every time Christmas came around. The swamp and the firecrackers that drove Umbridge out of her mind.