24

"Cass, get up!" Draco yelled. Cassie sat up slowly, looking around. There were screams and not the cheerful type.

"What's going on?" Cassie asked as she pulled on her shoes. She stood up, noticing her parents weren't in bed. "Where's Mum and Dad?"

"They haven't come back yet," said Draco. "Come on, we don't want to get in their way."

"Who — get in whose way of what?" asked Cassie sleepily.

When she stepped outside, her drowsy feeling was washed away. Cassie was suddenly hot due to the close range of the tents on fire. There were figures in black cloaks and masks roaming around. Green lights were shooting this and that way. Cassie's heart pounded in her chest as she and Draco made a break for the trees. They shoved through the crowd in which people were running in all different directions. What had been a field of laughter, joy, and happiness was now a field of screams of terror and possibly death. It was hell.

They ran into the forest along with many other wizards and witches who had begun to Apparate and use their portkeys to opt-out of the area.

"Draco, are we going?" asked Cassie once noticing her brother had stopped.

Draco was looking through a gap in the trees. Cassie looked in his direction. Thick black smoke was rising from the tents. There were raging fires, more screams, more pain.

"We should find Mother and Father," said Cassie as there was a thud near them.

"What happened?" said a voice. "Ron, where are you? Oh, this is stupid — Lumos!"

"Tripped over a tree root," he said angrily, getting to his feet again.

"Well, with feet that size, hard not to," said Draco.

"Draco," said Cassie in a warning tone.

Ron had told Draco to do something that Cassie knew he wouldn't have said in front of his mother.

"Language, Weasley," said Cassie, her protective side igniting. "You should better be hurrying along, don't you think? You wouldn't like her spotted, would you?"

She nodded at Hermione, and at the same time, a blast like a bomb sounded from the campsite and a flash of green light momentarily lit the trees around them.

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Hermione defiantly.

"Granger, they're after Muggles," said Cassie. "D'you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around.... they're moving this way."

"Hermione's a witch," Harry snarled.

"Have it your own way, Potter," said Draco, grinning maliciously. "If you think they can't spot a Mudblood, stay where you are."

"You watch your mouth!" shouted Ron.

"Never mind, Ron," said Hermione quickly, seizing Ron's arm to restrain him as he took a step towards Draco.

There came a bang from the other side of the trees that was louder than anything they had heard. Several people nearby screamed.

"Scare easily, don't they?" Draco said lazily. "I suppose your daddy told you all to hide? What's he up to — trying to rescue the Muggles?"

"Where're your parents?" asked Potter. Cassie sensed his hot temper. "Out there wearing masks, are they?"

"Well, if they were, I wouldn't be likely to tell you, would I, Potter?"