26

"You lot are a sight for sore eyes," said Professor Moody, looking around at the students. "Professor Lupin tells me this is a gifted class, with few exceptions... " He glanced on the opposite side of the room where most of the Gryffindors sat. "So, straight to it. Curses — dark curses. I've got one year to teach you lot how you are supposed to defend yourself against dark curses. A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. You need to be prepared."

Moody turned around and grabbed the chalk. He began writing on the blackboard saying, "Now, can any one of you tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three," Adrian answered.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they're unforgivable," Addy said. "Use of any one of them will— "

"Send you a one-way ticket to Azkaban," Moody finished. "So, who can tell me a curse? Anyone?"

"My father told me about one," said Cassie. "The Imperius Curse."

"Ah, yes," said Moody appreciatively. "Your father would know that one as he was under it, wasn't he, eh, during the First Wizarding War?"

Moody opened his desk drawer and took out a glass jar. There were small black spiders inside it. Moody reached into the jar, caught one of the spiders, and held it in the palm of his hand. He pointed his wand at it.

"Engorgio!" The small spider grew larger to the size of his hand.

"Imperio!"

The spider flew off his hand and landed on the desk. The students there jumped back. It jumped to Viola's desk and on her hand. The class was filled with laughter as Viola began freaking out.

"Get it off! Get it off!" Viola screamed and Adrian was quick to swat it off of her.

"What should I have her do next?" said Moody. "Make it jump out a window?" It hit the glass pane. The laughter died down. "Drown herself?

"Years back, there were a lot of witches and wizards being controlled by the Imperius Curse," said Moody. "It was difficult trying to sort out who was being forced to act, and who was acting of their own free will. The Imperius Curse can be fought, and in these next few weeks, I'll be teaching you how, but it takes real strength of character, and not everyone's got it.

"Anyone else know one? Another illegal curse?"

"There's the Cruciatus Curse," said Viola.

"Very good. The Cruciatus Curse," said Moody. "The Torture Curse."

Moody raised his wand again, pointed it at the spider, and muttered, "Crucio!"

At once, the spider's legs bent in upon its body; it rolled over and began to twitch horribly, rocking from side to side. Moody did not remove his wand, and the spider started to shudder and jerk more violently. Once Moody raised his wand, the spider's legs relaxed.

"Reducio," Moody muttered, and the spider shrank back to its proper size. He put it back into the jar.

"Pain," said Moody softly. "You don't need thumbscrews or knives to torture someone if you can perform the Cruciatus Curse... That one was very popular once, too. The Lestranges were captured after the use of it, nasty what they did.