53

Cassie could say she was getting used to assisting Slughorn. The first and third years weren't too bad. However, getting to the fifth-years, as they were later into their teens, Cassie found them rather annoying and rebellious.

Cassie checked the roster list for the sixth-year students. She didn't agree with the idea that students with an E on their O.W.L.s should continue with their N.E.W.T.s. Potions. It was a difficult subject and she believed only the best of the best should continue on with it. She groaned, reading the names: Crabbe, Vincent; Granger, Hermione; Goyle, Gregory, and Malfoy, Draco. There were also four students from Ravenclaw she remembered Viola saying how pompous they were.

They had all entered the classroom before the bell had rung. Cassie caught Potter's eye as he began walking towards a desk. He wasn't on the roster. Cassie did however feel proud that Draco did outsmart Potter in at least one subject.

"... is Cassiopeia Malfoy. She will be assisting me and will be offering tutoring sessions for those who are in need of assistance, which I hope none of you do.

"Now then, now then, now then," said Slughorn. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making... "

"Sir?" said Potter, raising his hand.

"Harry, m'boy?"

"I haven't got a book or scales or anything — nor's Ron. We didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see— "

"Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall did mention... Not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. You can use ingredients from the store cupboard today, and I'm sure we can lend you some scales, and we've got a small stock of old books here, they'll do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts... "

Slughorn strode over to a corner cupboard and, after a moment's foraging, emerged with two very battered-looking copies of Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage, which he gave to Potter and Ron along with two sets of tarnished scales.

"Now then," said Slughorn, returning to the front of the class. "We've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of things you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. You ought to have heard of 'em, even if you haven't made 'em yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?"

He indicated the cauldron nearest the Slytherin table. Hermione's hand hit the air before anybody else's; Slughorn pointed at her.

"It's Veritaserum, a colorless, odorless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth," said Hermione.

"Very good, very good!" said Slughorn happily, then he pointed at the cauldron nearest to the Ravenclaw table. "Now, this one here is pretty well known... Featured in a few Ministry leaflets lately too. Who can— "

Hermione's hand was fastest once more.

"It's Polyjuice Potion, sir," she said.

"Excellent, excellent! Now, this one here — Yes, my dear?" said Slughorn, now looking slightly bemused, as Hermione's hand punched the air again.

"It's Amortentia!"

"It is indeed. It seems almost foolish to ask," said Slughorn, who was looking mightily impressed. "I assume you know what it does?"