73

There was a ringing in Cassie's ear. She pushed the pieces of stone off her, then she heard the screams and yells from the people around her. Cold air told Cassie that the side of the castle had been blown away. Then, she heard a terrible cry that pulled at her insides.

Cassie managed to get to her feet and saw the three redheaded men who were grouped on the ground where the wall had blasted apart.

"No, no, no!" someone was shouting. "No! Fred! No!" Cassie quickened her pace as she saw Percy shaking his brother and Ron was kneeling beside them.

"Move," Cassie breathed out and she kneeled beside him. She looked down and his eyes were closed and he looked lifeless. Water brimmed her eyes and her vision grew blurry from it. "No, Fred! Come on!"

Cassie leaned closer to him and put her ear towards his mouth and nose to see if he was still breathing and just unconscious. She placed a hand on his chest and in the chaos, she only focused on Fred. At that moment, Cassie didn't care about the students and staff who were fighting Death Eaters just around the corner. The others stared at what was happening: Ron and Percy were crying, scared their brother was dead. Potter and Hermione watched as they held onto each other, watching sadly.

"He's dead," said Percy sadly, wiping his eyes. "I— "

Then, Cassie heard it — his breath as he exhaled and she felt his heartbeat. She pressed her hand to Fred's chest and her healing magic had taken away the pain Fred was feeling and his heartbeat grew stronger.

"Duck!" Potter yelled, diving forward.

He pushed Cassie out of the way and the curse shot over Fred's body. Curses flew overhead and a few people had come around the corner, dueling with some Death Eaters.

"Help me!" Cassie pleaded. "He's still alive. Help me get him to a safe place."

No one said anything and quickly took Fred's arms and legs and hauled him behind a suit of armor. No one had to say anything, but Cassie knew from their expressions that they were thankful.

Cassie looked back after seeing a light. She broke away from the others and followed the light around another corner and there was a doe Patronus.

"Snape... "

Cassie followed it as it moved through the school. She did not want to start any fights with the Death Eaters, nor the students, but would occasionally fire a few spells in random directions, careful not to hit anyone.

The doe turned another right. Cassie saw more of the Hogwarts staff fighting and a few people in the Order. Cassie caught a glimpse of Addy who was fighting with Lupin and Tonks. She would have gone, but she also knew Snape would only show his Patronus when something urgent was happening.

"Cassie!" someone yelled.

She was tackled to the ground and tumbled, hitting the wall. Cassie pushed him off and raised her wand to defend herself, but she saw it was Oliver Wood. He quickly stood and turned around, facing the Death Eater.

"Traitor!" the Death Eater yelled, firing another one of his curses.

"Oliver, no!" Cassie pushed him and she was hit with the curse. She went flying back, hitting the sconce. She groaned in pain, feeling the skin on her back was scratched up, blood dripping, and soaking her clothes.

"Avada— "

Green light illuminated from Cassie's wand. The Death Eater that was pointing his wand at Oliver had been blown a few feet back and he laid with his eyes open.

"Cassie, you just— "

Cassie cut him off saying, "You're surprised? How about a thank you?"

"Where are you heading?" Oliver asked.

"I don't know... Where exactly am I?" Cassie asked. "I was following a— "

"A doe?" he finished. "I heard someone shouting earlier. It looked like it was heading to the boathouse." Cassie started to run down the corridor. "Wait! Cassie!"

Oliver was about to run after her but he was distracted by another Death Eater and more people had come into the hall.

By the time Cassie had arrived at the boathouse, she saw the doe fade away. As she walked closer, she saw blood on the glass. She hurried inside and propped against the wall was Snape, bleeding from his chest and neck.

"No... Snape... Let me— "

"You save your strength," Snape said weakly, pulling her hand down. "It seems you have already used much of it. Do not go too far otherwise, you will kill yourself in the process."

"I know," Cassie nodded. "I know."

"The Dark Lord needs you... He is weakening," said Snape. "And when he does, he will use you. You must never use your power ever again. It is too dangerous and there will be those people who will try and use you for it. Your parents await for you and Draco in the forest. Go!"

"I'll send for help," Cassie said, standing.

"No," said Snape. "Go to your parents."

Cassie hesitated, then exited the boathouse. She traveled inside the Forbidden Forest. A few minutes after passing the edge of it and into the tall trees, there was a voice.

"You have fought valiantly," said the high, cold voice. "Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste.

"Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

"I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

The people in the castle had seen the Death Eaters and the creatures retreat. There was a mournful silence in the castle. Bodies were carried into the Great Hall, Madame Pomfrey began tending to the injured, people cried and people smiled, hugging their closest friends that were still alive.

"He's all right," Percy assured his family as he and George laid Fred down.

"What happened?" asked Ginny, her eyes beginning to fill with tears.

"There was an explosion," Percy explained. "It's a bit of a blur, but Cassie... she saved him."

"Malfoy?" Mrs. Weasley questioned, looking up from Fred.

Percy nodded. "I don't know where she ran off to, but she's on our side."

Cassie had walked further into the forest and it wasn't long until she saw a crowd of the Death Eaters. Her mother lifted her head upon hearing someone coming had was quick to go to her daughter.

"Draco, where is he?" asked Narcissa as they walked back.

"I — I don't know," Cassie replied quietly. "I told him to go somewhere safe... Mum... "

Narcissa stopped and looked at her daughter, waiting for what she would say next. By her tone, she knew it wasn't good.

"Mum... Snape's gone... He killed him." Narcissa glanced at the Dark Lord, then gently pushed her forward to Lucius.

"We'll see Draco again," Lucius assured his family.