57

Cassie walked into the room during the meeting. The Dark Lord sat at the end of the table, the Death Eaters in his inner circle, including Snape, Narcissa, and Draco, sitting near him. It was only Draco who noticed her presence.

"What have you done so far, Draco, to have eliminated Dumbledore?" the Dark Lord asked.

Cassie cleared her throat. They all looked towards her. Cassie took her hood off and stared deeply into the eyes of the Dark Lord. Unlike Draco, she wasn't afraid of him as a person, she was afraid of what he could do — how many people he could kill.

"What was that on Christmas, Aunt Bella, hmm?" Cassie was glaring at her now.

"What?" Then she smiled and laughed. "You mean that little... accident?"

"You know very well that it wasn't a mere accident," Cassie replied. "My Dark Lord, was it not an order to not put Tonks and the Weasleys in any harm? Yet, Aunt Bella here comes on Christmas, sets a fire and burns their home down, attacking their youngest!"

"Who are you to speak to him like that?" Dolohov sneered.

"We had a deal," Cassie continued. "I've done everything you asked — passed you information, watched Harry so he wouldn't catch on with the plan — I will do it myself. If Draco cannot, I will do it."

"Miss Malfoy, you are aware— "

Cassie cut Snape off. "I know what it means and what it makes me. I'm aware of what will become of me."

"Cassie," the Dark Lord hissed. "It was my plan to get Potter alone. I see that their efforts have failed."

"You could have at least warned me," Cassie said. "I could have lured Potter out. Make up a story— "

"Cassie Malfoy, I'll be frank. I'm beginning to doubt your loyalty to me," said the Dark Lord. "I sense emotions: fear, love. Are you in love with that Weasley boy — a blood traitor, the worst kind?"

Cassie glanced at her mother who then looked down. She glanced to Draco who was staring straight ahead. Her eyes then landed on Snape. He shook his head slightly and she looked back at the piercing eyes.

"No, I don't... "

"You've been strong in occlumency," he spoke. "You have blocked me out many times, Malfoy. What is it that you are hiding?"

"I taught her," Snape spoke. "Potter or anyone in the Order can sneak into her mind. I hoped teaching her would allow her to block said people."

It was silent. One could only hear the fire crackling from the next room over. The Dark Lord reached below the table. Cassie sensed he was taking out his wand, but she couldn't do anything. Fighting back wasn't a good idea.

"Crucio!"

Cassie fell to the ground. She was in an incredible amount of pain. Imagine pricking a finger with a needle, but it goes deeper into the flesh. Thousands of those sharp pains were everywhere — her arms, legs, neck. She was screaming in pain, but never once screamed for help. She wanted to, but no one was going to help. It was best to not ask for she knew there would be no answer. No one answering to her yells would be worse.

"My Lord, why?" Narcissa breathed out, her eyes starting to get wet with tears.

The pain stopped. "She must remember her place. She must remember my capabilities." He looked over the table at Cassie. "Loyalty is something I value very deeply. Break it, you will pay the consequences."

:::

Cassie returned to the school. She was exhausted for she had been tortured the other day. Sitting at the staff table that evening, everyone could notice how odd she looked. She looked tired and her hair was messier compared to her usual self who dressed like royalty.