30

"Wanna place your bets for tomorrow, Malfoy?" asked Fred.

"Are you stupid?" said Cassie. "I don't think you're allowed to be betting."

Fred shrugged. "By the way, why haven't I been seeing more of you?"

"You see me every day in class," Cassie said in a 'duh' tone.

"That's not what I meant," said Fred. "You haven't gotten detention in a long time."

"You want me to purposely get into trouble?" Cassie asked incredulously.

"No, but when another Flint comes along, if you could not restrain yourself and hex him," Fred said with a grin.

Cassie laughed, but it became a nervous one. "You're crazy, aren't you? Your whole family. Your Muggle-loving parents, workaholic perfectionist Percy, your stupid twin, and the even more vacuous younger brother. And then there's Ginny, the one who has an unrequited love with the 'Chosen One'. It's a laugh really."

Cassie was blasted back into the wall. She groaned in pain as she stood up. She glared at the Weasley boy, taking her wand out.

"Don't you dare insult my family," Fred growled.

"Next time, don't give them a reason for me to," Cassie remarked. "Honestly, they're a walking embarrassment — Protego!"

The spell penetrated the charm. She ducked just in time. "I've got to work on that," Cassie muttered.

By now, students filled the corridors, cheering for their respective sides. Fellow Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs were cheering on Fred as the Slytherins cheered on Cassie.

Cassie conjured an arrow and duplicated it, creating ten arrows. With one word, the arrows began charging at Fred. Just as she had sent them, she instantly regretted it.

When the arrows were a few inches from him, they had vanished. Fred collapsed to the floor in shock.

"What is going on?" said a voice. Behind Fred, Professor McGonagall appeared, Professor Snape following behind.

"I — I— "

"They were dueling, Professor!" said a Ravenclaw prefect.

"And yet you stood there to watch, cheering Weasley on!" Cassie retorted. "He started it."

"If you hadn't insulted my family— "

"So what? I insulted them, big deal," Cassie said. She let out an exasperated breath. "You're just as bad. Spreading rumors and talking bad about my parents, laughing at my brother."

"They aren't rumors cause they're true!" yelled Fred. "And that git deserves it."

Cassie scoffed, raising her wand.

"Enough!" said Snape loudly. "Back to your classes, everyone."

The students left, whispering amongst themselves.

"It does not matter who started it," said Professor McGonagall. "You both know using magic in the halls are forbidden— "