69

Cassie watched as Bellatrix pointed her wand at Hermione, using the Cruciatus Curse on her. As much as she wanted to look away or stop her, she knew it was a test. She knew if she helped, she would only attack her, too. If she had helped them, the Dark Lord would punish her family. Though Bellatrix could save her sister, she wasn't so sure about her father or Draco.

"You're lying, filthy Mudblood, and I know it! You have been inside my vault at Gringotts! Tell the truth, tell the truth!"

Bellatrix pointed her wand at her once again and Hermione turned on her side, her limbs twitching. Narcissa grabbed Cassie's trembling hand and eventually, it stopped.

"What else did you take? What else have you got? Tell me the truth or I swear, I shall run you through with this knife!"

Hermione screamed again.

"How did you get into my vault?!" she screamed. "What did you take?"

"I didn't take anything," Hermione cried.

Bellatrix took her dagger and grabbed Hermione's arm. She forced it on the ground, then carved into the inside of her forearm. Cassie closed her eyes for a moment, drowning out the sound. If she could have just gone to her and gave her a little strength.

Cassie would always think, "What is the use of being able to heal people when I can't even use it for the right reasons?"

"Did that dirty little goblin in the cellar help you?" asked Bellatrix, only a few inches from her face.

"We only met him tonight!" Hermione sobbed. "We've never been inside your vault... It isn't the real sword! It's a copy, just a copy!"

"A copy?" screeched Bellatrix. "Oh, a likely story!"

"But we can find out easily!" This was Cassie's time to help without being obvious. "I'll get the goblin, he can tell us whether the sword is real or not!"

Cassie left the drawing room and headed to the cellar. She took a deep breath and tightened her grip on her wand. She opened the door and was met with familiar faces.

"The goblin, bring him here," she ordered. "If you try anything, I'll have to defend myself."

"That sounds more of a warning than a threat," said Luna. "Odd. Your hand can't seem to stay still. Must be because— "

"Enough with your non-existent creatures," Cassie said, shutting her up. "Goblin, come here or I'll have to drag you out."

"What are you doing with him?" aaked Ron angrily. "Is Hermione okay?"

"Why are you asking me?" she wondered.

"Because I know there's still part of you that cares about us," Ron replied. "I know you don't like whatever is going on up there because that's the reason your hand keeps shaking. You're scared— "

"She's fine," Cassie told him. "The goblin!"

Cassie sighed and took him by the arm. She closed the door behind them and locked it. When she came back to the room, she pushed the goblin forward in front of Bellatrix.

A few moments after, Lucius heard a sound from below. "What was that?" shouted Lucius from over their heads. "Did you hear that? What was that noise in the cellar?"

"Draco — no, call Wormtail! Make him go and check!"

Draco glanced at his mother, then left. After a few minutes, Draco had come back.

"Well?" Bellatrix said to Griphook. "Is it the true sword?"

"No," said Griphook. "It is a fake."