72

"I can't believe it," Cassie said in a quiet voice. "You — you're with them?"

"Dear, Cassie," Dumbledore's portrait spoke. "These are matters resulting in life or death. I assume you came here for a reason?"

"Now I can say it then," said Cassie. "I can sense it... something bad happening. I just want to protect my family, all of them."

Dumbledore smiled. "The diadem, where is it? He asked you to take care of it."

"The Room of Requirement," Cassie replied. "Why? Why is it so important?"

"That diadem is called a Horcrux," Dumbledore told her. "I assume you know what that is as you've read the book. It is part of the Dark Lord's soul. You must destroy it."

"But I don't know how," Cassie said.

"Then you give it to Harry," he said. "He'll destroy it. He must know the diadem is related to Hogwarts."

"How can I guarantee they won't die?" she asked.

"You cannot," said Snape. "You cannot save everyone."

:::

Cassie had gone towards the Room of Requirement, but it wouldn't open. After trying, she figured there must have been people still inside. Cassie didn't know what room to think of so she abandoned it for the time being and went to her office.

She pulled out the potion that was brewing in one of her cauldrons. She finished creating it, then put the liquid into two vials. Just as she had done so, the door to her office burst open.

"Malfoy!" Alecto exclaimed. "The Order is chasing after us. The Dark Lord is coming. We must join him."

"Wait," Cassie said before they left. "Here, take this."

"What is it?" Amycus asked.

"Liquid Luck," Cassie said. "In case."

They didn't think twice and drank the whole thing in the small vial. Then, their eyelids dropped and Alecto fell to the ground.

"You— " Then, Amycus was knocked out.

Cassie ran from her office and tried blending in with the students who ran each and every way in a hurry. It wasn't long until the first of the Dark Lord's line of offense had come charging into the school.

Cassie cursed, running towards the Room of Requirement. She ducked a few curses and hit a few of the Acromantula that had gotten inside the castle. She arrived at the Room of Requirement and quickly walked past the door, thinking of the room. Cassie walked in and heard loud voices and the sounds of objects being knocked over to its side.

She set off in the direction she heard the voices, but a jet of fire had zoomed in front of her. Cassie pulled back after almost being caught on fire. She peaked around the corner of the tall mountain of objects and saw fire taking the form of serpents, chimeras, and dragons.

"Fiendfyre," Cassie muttered with displeasure.

Cassie then saw her brother dragging an unconscious body. Cassie ran down towards him, quickly passing the flame of a chimera.

"Cassie?" Draco said with relief and horror.

"What the hell are you doing, Draco?" Cassie scolded and began to help drag Goyle. "You should have gone with the other Slytherins who were evacuating. Do you understand why they ordered you to do so? So you wouldn't have to fight against or with your parents. So you'd be safe."