47

Cassie didn't fully enjoy the rest of her stay at Grimmauld Place, but it was better than spending it alone. Mrs. Weasley had found Fred and Cassie asleep one morning, screaming at once. For the rest of the holidays, she'd give Cassie a wary glance, but no matter what she said to Fred, it wouldn't make him break up. Fortunately, Ginny had gotten used to her after Tonks had visited once in a while, giving the three of them time to talk. Even Sirius was less hostile to her. He still had his snarky comments, but Cassie would retort and Sirius didn't mind her too much anymore.

The day holidays were over, Cassie was packing her things. Just as they were about to leave, Lumi came in flying and perched herself on Cassie's arm.

"You sure have been sending lots of owls," Potter commented just as Cassie gave another letter for Lumi to send.

"I still have a few friends, Potter," Cassie sneered.

The door of number twelve slammed shut behind Cassie. Lumi, startled, grabbed the envelope and took off. Then, the group followed Lupin down the front steps.

"Come on, the quicker we get on the bus the better," said Tonks.

BANG!

A purple, triple-decker bus had appeared out of thin air in front of them, narrowly avoiding the nearest lamppost, which jumped backward out of its way.

"Welcome to the— "

"Yes, yes, we know, thank you," said Tonks swiftly. "On, on, get on— "

"Ernie — it's 'Arry— "

"If you shout his name I will curse you into oblivion," muttered Tonks menacingly, pushing Cassie forward.

"I've always wanted to go on this thing," said Ron happily.

A few witches and wizards were still getting to their feet, grumbling, and somebody's shopping bag had slid the length of the bus, its contents spilling out.

"Looks like we'll have to split up," said Tonks briskly, looking around for empty chairs. "Cassie, Fred, George, and Ginny, if you just take those seats at the back. Remus can stay with you."

Cassie took a seat beside Lupin. As the bus moved closer to their destination, for a reason she couldn't comprehend, she felt nervous going back to Hogwarts. For one, she had to manage the Slytherin team, but she also had to put up with Umbridge for another six months. Knowing what could happen and knowing that she was a part of it, she knew there'd be consequences.

"I'm no healer, but I suggest you visit Madam Pomfrey for that hand," said Lupin.

Cassie looked up at Lupin.

"She just gave me potions to take whenever it happens," Cassie responded.

"Mind if I ask what's troubling you?"

Cassie shook her head. "No... you wouldn't understand."

Lupin sighed. "You'll tell me when you're ready."

"As if," Cassie muttered.

:::

The Daily Prophet had come out one morning. Addy came into the dorm during breakfast with the newspaper in her hand. She strode over to her desk saying, "Look at this."

Cassie picked the paper up and looked at the men on the pages. Antonin Dolohov, convicted of the brutal murders of Gideon and Fabian Prewett.

"Prewett... " Cassie muttered to herself.

Augustus Rookwood, convicted of leaking Ministry of Magic Secrets to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.