11

October came by in a flash. The more detentions she received for mouthing off in class (most detentions given by Lockhart and Filch for no apparent reason), the more she had seen Fred Weasley. What scared Cassie was she was starting to find him less intolerable. Fred was slowly starting to feel there was something more to Cassie than just snarky comments she (most likely) learned from her pure-blooded family.

The Halloween feast had begun. For some, it felt like yesterday when Professor Quirrell ran in, looking ridiculous in his turban. Some anticipated something like a troll getting into Hogwarts. Each house was at their respective tables, all deep in discussion with one another whether it be gossip, Quidditch, classes, or boys/girls they found cute.

"Who're you staring at?" Lee Jordan asked Fred, who quickly looked away.

"No one," he said nervously.

"Who's the girl?" George asked.

"It's — erm — Angelina... "

George smirked at his brother. "Freddie's in love."

"No, I'm not," he said, then he smiled as she did, but she was smiling because of him.

"No," said Cassie, grinning eye to eye. "That's too mean, Adrian."

"I think it's quite brilliant, actually," said Adrian proudly.

"Sorry to interrupt," said Flint, now sitting beside Addy. "Have you got any news? What're their moves?"

"I don't know," said Cassie, angered by the topic. "I'm not loving this idea."

"Find out or you'll be kicked off the team," Flint told her in a whisper.

"What's he talking about?" asked Viola.

Cassie shook her head, not wanting to talk about it. For the rest of the feast, her mood was dull. Instead of conversing with her friends, she was in deep thought of what to do. Obey Flint, risk her friendship with Oliver Wood, and stay on the team? Or stay loyal to a true friend and get kicked off?

When the feast was over, everyone filed out of the Great Hall. As a crowd of students walked down the corridor, Cassie stopped for a moment after stepping on something. She looked down. There was water covering the entire floor. She walked forward and saw something was shining on the wall ahead. Foot-high words had been daubed on the wall between two windows.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐃. 𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑, 𝐁𝐄𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐄.

Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat, was hanging by her tail from the torch bracket. She was stiff as a board, her eyes wide and staring.

Harry Potter was the closest to the wall. Slightly behind him were Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Then someone shouted through the silence. "Enemies of the Heir, beware!? You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

It was Draco Malfoy. He had pushed to the front of the crowd as he grinned at the sight of the hanging cat.

Cassie shook her head, genuinely worried. Not long after, there were footsteps and Cassie was shoved aside, bumping into Adrian.

"I'm fine," she told him, glaring at Filch who strode ahead.

"What's going on here? What's going on?" His eyes fell on Mrs. Norris. He fell back, clutching his face in horror. "My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?" he shrieked. His eyes fell on Potter. "You!" he screeched. "You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll— "