S2 E5 : ☠️ ZB! ☠️(Ch. 185)

"What happened to you?" Warren questioned after Vasquez's presence reached her knowledge. 

He had some kind of meat in a plastic webbing hanging from his side, swinging beside his every movement until he came to a complete stop in front of us. 

"A few Zs." It was a short and sweet answer that felt like it needed more of a story behind it, "I found this."

"What is it?" Warren asked, putting her hands on her hips.

Her face showed how skeptical she was of his offering to us, and I don't blame her. The only time we've had to actually get to know him is when we're planning the next step together. 

"Cured ham; maybe mutton."

Mutton? What's mutton? To show off how giving he was being towards us, he tossed the heavy package over to Doc's unexpected grasp. When the food reached him, Doc didn't seem so upset about meat being thrown in his face. 

"And for you.." Vasquez swung his backpack from around his shoulder, unzipping it with ease. 

Usually, it takes me, like, fifty jabs to get the zipper to do right. Our new 'savior' brought out a jar filled with a sweet, dark red color substance. 

"..strawberry jam."

When he was bringing out another jar, his eyes kept to Warren's gaze, "Top five missed foods, right?"

Okay, scratch that. The rest of us hasn't had a chance to really talk to him, but it seems like Warren's had enough time to analyze and trade misses and wants. At the reveal of the second jar, he took a step closer towards me but his attention wasn't on me. 

They were on the man beside me, as if asking if it was alright if he handed me something so sweet. I reached out and grasped the jar of jam, answering for both of them. I know when to accept gifts and when not to. 

I haven't seem this stuff in a hot minute, anyway. 

"Thank you." 

Politeness isn't dead, either. Amish need to learn that. I wanted to open it up and take a lick of the long-forgotten substance, but we were in too big of a mess. I looked up at the silent sniper, shaking his arm lightly. 

His gaze landed on mine, which was colder than usual. I know I didn't do anything bad. 

"Can I put this in your bag?"

He nodded downward once, seemingly unbothered that I was packing most of my stuff with his. 

"How are you always finding this stuff?"

Finally, questions were being arose.

"Well, he found the key to my heart: smoked pig." Doc reassured Vasquez that he was alright with him now. 

That's not helping anything. 

"Why don't you have any green powder on you?" I spoke up, trying to bypass Doc's recent statement so it wouldn't look like we were warming up to him.

Because we're not. He's a bounty hunter. We have this disobedient bounty. Vasquez had said earlier than he had killed a couple Zs, but he didn't seem to know that they exploded green powder onto their victim. 

Plus, he didn't have a trace of this stuff on his clothing. The fact that he hasn't saw it, says a lot that we're not reading into. 

"Green powder?"

So, he's lied about killing Zs. Before we could investigate further into his lies, the back door of the ranch house busted open with hungry Zs, like chickens coming out of the hen house after not being fed all night.