S2 E2 : 🔳 WL 🔳 (Ch. 136)

Whoever was dragging the stiff body of 10K had a motive: save his ass. Doc got 10K's back against the side of the vehicle the other's had claimed as theirs as the war in front of them continued on. 

"You scared the hell out of me, kid." Doc commented, noticing 10K, who was now wide awake and aware of everything going on with wide eyes. 

10K watched in silence as Doc's lips moved, but for some reason, he heard none of the words. All he heard was a ring sounding from both sides of his ears; it was just about to drive him crazy. 

Ignoring the fact that he couldn't hear the various gunshots from before, he looked around his team. Mack and Addy were shooting on the right of him, but he couldn't hear their weapons going off. 

(Y/N) wasn't anywhere near Doc, who was looking over his head wound, or with Warren, who was shooting from the trunk of the vehicle. If anything, it worried him that she wasn't watching over him with Doc's help.

The last he remembered was (Y/N) pointing her weapon at Cassandra's heart.

'Did she have to scare Cassandra off?' 10K tried his best to remember what happened afterwards, but recollection was a difficult task for him. 

"Where is (Y/N)?" 10K said in--what he thought was--a regular voice, but to the other's, his shouting was more than likely going to end up being a problem.

Right now, though, the shouting wasn't as bad since the small explosions were bouncing off metals and sounding off. Doc took (Y/N)'s shirt off of 10K's head, wondering the same thing as he examined the cloth.

Mack instantly stopped his firing to whip his head around, glaring at the survivor of a grenade launcher, "You mean, you don't know where she is?" 

"10K!" Mack shouted when his human target didn't even turn away from Doc when he asked a question. 

Their medic noticed this almost immediately. 

"Why the hell is everybody shooting at everybody?!" Addy shouted next, ducking her head back to reload her clip. 

Mack moved to get beside Doc, glaring at 10K further so he'd get the hint. When the blue-eyed survivor finally realized who was glaring at him, he looked confused. 

'What have I done now? Is (Y/N) alright?' 10K wondered, not understanding why no one was answering him and Mack was just glaring at him. 

"'Cause Murphy's the golden goose!" Doc answered, gripping the button-up shirt in his hands, concern filling his whole mind.

When they got here, they were attacked almost instantly. Warren was the one to spot 10K, but (Y/N) was no where near him. 

"Well, we're sitting ducks here. We're gonna have to split up."

10K couldn't hear a word he was saying, but by God was he watching their lips. He's never been the best at reading lips, but he could understand military signals. 

'(Y/N) was in front of me after the grenade launcher went off. Did she get kidnapped? What if she got hurt and turned out there? Why wasn't I there for her?' 10K criticized himself and his ability to keep her safe, grabbing the shirt from Doc. 

He was going to find (Y/N), even if she was a zombie. If she turned out to be a zombie, he was going to bring her back to Mack, let him decide what happens next.

"10K, are you alright?" Warren asked the temporarily deaf man, trying to ensure he at least gaining some kind of sound back from the explosion.

But he wasn't. Not even close. 10K felt his leader looking at him, so when he turned to look at her, he tried his best to read her lips. Still, not even that was helping translation. 

"What?!" He replied back, somewhat hoping she'd write it down for him real quick.

"I think he's deaf." Doc diagnosed (Y/N)'s patient, shaking his head in worry.

"Doc, you take him with you. You guys, get to the alley and cut east to advance north. Mack and Addy, you guys take the west side. We'll flush him out."

"What about my sister?" Mack asked, shooting his head towards his leader. 

'Warren wouldn't just leave her out here this exposed. She barely knows how to use a gun!' Mack questioned his loyalty for Warren, once again. 

Warren bent down from shooting, taking a break from the battle, "We'll keep an eye out for (Y/N) too, but if 10K went down she probably tried to find us."

The dark skinned woman knew more about how (Y/N) thought than anyone in this group; it was her job to break down the minds of her followers and figure out what was best for them. 

She knew all of their weaknesses, their abilities, and what it took to get them into fighting mode. She was a born leader, and they were becoming leaders their selves, without even realizing it. 

"Then we need to backtrack." Mack refused to leave his sister again.

"Look, Mack, I'm just as worried about her as you are, but (Y/N) learned a couple things while you were gone. She's no longer a kid that you have to keep protecting." Warren assured Mack as well as herself

She raised that kid; she's raising her to be one hell of a leader with strong morals. She's watched over that growing lady for almost four years. (Y/N) can stay alive until they find her. 

"Now, what about the bounty hunters?" Doc questioned, worrying about the people still shooting at them like it was Call of Duty

"Kill them too!" Warren ordered, done with everyone's shit today. 

More bounty hunters began to close in on the team with zombies equaling the human ratio. You couldn't go no more than three minutes without hearing gunshots, and you couldn't go two minutes without being passed by a Z.

Smoke from the weapons were in the air as well as the smell of gunpowder--which overcame all of the metallic smells of death.

Fire from the wooden homes that burned from rioting and attention, and whatever else was set to burn by someone or something, blackened the sky but the sun was more powerful than it all. This was the apocalypse back when it first started.

"On my call, we'll cover you."

Warren turned back around on her heels, taking shots at the hillbillies all the while doing a recon of the area. She got back to her teammates with a simple spin, bending down so her head wouldn't be blown off that easily. 

She raised three fingers in the air.

"Three."

A bullet bounced off of the open hood as people began to grow closer to their new prey.

"Two."

Warren lowered her middle finger from the air so 10K would be able to understand what was going on while Doc grabbed the kid's shoulders.

|| It only takes a day to change your life ||