S2 E3 : 🛑 Zombie Road 🛑 (Ch. 142)

The Night of Mack's Death || No One's P.O.V

"We're going to pull over on the side. We'll walk a couple miles out to set up camp." Warren spoke up from the thick silence of the group.

No one replied back to her command, not having any objections to voice. Addy and (Y/N) had long since fell asleep, both too exhausted mentally and physically to even fight the sleep that was veiling over their conscious.

(Y/N) had her legs in 10K's lap with her heavy head on his shoulder for a pillow. His right arm was held in a tight embrace by her little arms, making sure he wouldn't leave her too. The last thing she needed was for him to leave as well.

Addy had (Y/N)'s torso in between her arms as she slept, leaning onto (Y/N)'s back for support. Her left leg had been bent behind (Y/N) so Addy could comfortably hold the teenager while her right leg was trapping (Y/N) between the metal side of the van and her thigh.

That was the only comfortable position she could conjure up since (Y/N) was the one to fall asleep first. While the two girls slept, 10K stayed awake the whole time. He had no choice in the matter.

He wanted to be there for (Y/N); through the demons in her sleep and the demons outside. He had come to the terms that he didn't want to be there, because Cassandra had made him promise before her unofficial death.

He wanted to be there, because she needed him to be there. He choose to be there now. Murphy was in front of Addy--on the other side of the van--looking guilty as the day he had been convicted of theft.

The only thing the man could feel was guilt at this time. The human experiment felt guilty for what had happened to Mack. He knew (Y/N) didn't deserve to lose her brother, but Hell, they had all lost someone.

At least, that's what he told himself to rebel against the selfless emotion. Deep within his heart, though, he knew that if he could go back in time, he'd save Mack no matter what. He'd protect Addy, (Y/N), and Mack.

Because he knew that that teenager didn't deserve to lose someone the way she had. Cassandra sat on Murphy's right with her arms tightly wrapped around his side, not moving an inch away from him.

The glare permanently remaining on her face was not for the people in front of her, but for the man sitting on her right. Doc innocently sat next to Cassandra, processing what had happened today for the twentieth time that evening.

He went through every detail from start to finish. They all arrived at Cheyenne, Wyoming right after Murphy and Cassandra. They found Murphy and Cassandra, then Vasquez showed up a few minutes later.

They hunted Murphy until they were divided. 10K took (Y/N) with him, but Doc found 10K without (Y/N). Mack and Addy found (Y/N) in the same hotel that him and 10K tracked Murphy to. When he realized that the four had been at the same hotel, he only questioned himself further.

What could he have done to help the girls? To help Mack? Why didn't him and 10K check to see if anymore of the group was there? They had already found Warren and Vasquez, so no doubt the rest of the team had tracked Murphy there as well.

He tried to reason with himself, but every time he thought he had a good excuse, he'd look over at Addy and (Y/N), which only destroyed his reasoning brick by brick. He'd only doubt himself even more than what he already did.

In the front seats sat Stranger--who finally revealed himself as Vasquez, or Javier Vasquez--and Warren. They had already taken turns, but now it's got to the point where no one was mentally capable of staying up any longer to drive.