S.1 E.12 ~ Murphy's Law (Ch. 79)

*No One's P.O.V* /// Without Mack and Addy

The artificial doctor of the group turned around in his front seat to look directly in the middle of the back. (Y/N) was passed out as she straddled 10K's lap. Her kneecaps were pressed against his hips and had her head buried in the crook of his neck.

10K had held his hands in the middle of her back, still patting the area that his hand touched.

'How long has he been patting?" Doc asked himself, not remembering a time when he looked back there and 10K's hand had stilled.

The ravenette's head was leaned back with his eyes closed, showing that his whole body was actually exhausted. The only indication that he was awake was the wrist moving silently against the body on top of his.

(Y/N)'s back rose high before falling back down, shallowly.

'Thank God, she's asleep.' Doc reminisced a couple of hours ago.

(Y/N) was trying to get out of the car while it moved. 10K and Cassandra were trying to keep her seated or, at least laid down, in the very back of the vehicle. Warren had to pull over at one point and try to hush her like a mother would for the weeping child on a stormy night.

None of it worked out as planned. Murphy wanted her to shut up so he began to pat her shoulder, but the touch only seemed to make it all worse. Doc didn't have any sleeping pills at the time, but he was trying to find something that would knock her out.

Nothing worked, no one helped; they were all just about to give up and prepare for a battle when 10K let her sit on top of his lap in the back seat. None of them could figure out how he got her to get on his lap in the first place while she was trying to get away, but he somehow managed.

The (H/C)-hair girl was still screaming and crying, but it wasn't as loud. They were soon muffled until she was finally out like a light switch.

"Do you think we'll ever see them, again? Mack and Addy?" Doc wondered out loud this time, once he knew for sure that (Y/N) was peacefully asleep.

Warren glanced over in the rear view mirror at the two in the middle of the seat before she admitted anything, "My mind says no. My heart says yes."

'Thank God, she's still asleep." Warren visibly sighed in relief at the sight of the two.

She didn't care how 10K held her at this point, as long as she was quiet and not trying to do anything stupid to herself or the others.

"I was kinda hoping they'd make it with us to the Promise Land." Doc sighed next.

His ocean blue orbs looked up at the road ahead of them, taking in the mysterious view. Cars were parked in the middle of the road and off of the road as well, vertically and horizontally. Some vehicles more than likely got pushed over by a horde.

Some were upside down on their roofs, a couple had missing wheels and it looked like one was missing parts beneath it.

"Now what?" Warren groaned, her head falling to the head of the seat.

The dark skinned woman wanted no more dilemmas for awhile but it's the apocalypse. What can she really do about these things except for fix them?

"Heads up, everybody." Warren's warning made 10K lift his head up from arching backwards like a dead person.

The boy's neck was aching in soreness, but he had to do this. If he hadn't, (Y/N) would still be crying. That's the last thing they needed; Zs would be attracted and all of their eardrums would be busted.

"I hate roadblocks." 10K spoke what everyone else was thinking.

He didn't just hate any roadblocks. It was just this particular roadblock. This one, because he knew he'd have to wake up (Y/N). Not only did he not want to do that, but he just didn't want to hear her crying in pain and heartbreak anymore.

It felt wrong to him in a bunch of different ways.

"Can't you just push that thing out of our way?" Murphy groaned, leaning his head back against the dark colored headrest.

The headrest that 10K lacked from being in the middle of the seat.

"No, thanks. I'd like to hold onto this truck."

Warren parked in front of the constructed scene, looking around for any kind of alternative.

'We can't push them. Maybe we can manually move them around?' Warren considered the options in her mind, not wanting to speak them out until she had a for sure plan.

The leader of this strong group turned off the engine, getting out of the vehicle. Everyone, but 10K and (Y/N), followed them out of the vehicle and around the front. 10K would rather wait until he had to get out to wake up the sleeping girl.

He didn't know this would actually work in the beginning; he thought it would be a failed attempt and be embarrassed that he put her in his lap. 10K noticed how Mack always put (Y/N) in his lap whenever she was upset or scared, so he gave it a try, feeling he had not much to lose.

But his dignity. Now, he's regretting this whole thing. He's tired and he can't help the group achieve their mission. Little does he know, he's helping the group by keeping her calmed and relaxed; asleep and not conscious.

(Y/N) had her small fingers curled on the cloth of his shoulders. Her calves were on either side of his thighs with her knees at his hips, occasionally touching Cassandra and Murphy's thighs during rough bumps.

Her head was cozily in the corner of his neck, snoring and drooling on top of the exposed skin. It disgusted him, but what could he really do? Wake her up? Like a true champ, he took the whole ordeal with his mouth shut.

Their heat was radiating towards Cassandra and Murphy, but they both kept their mouth shut at the odd feeling. 10K and (Y/N), on the other hand, seemed perfectly fine with the temperature between them; not bothering them once.

10K watched from inside the Tahoe as the group gathered over to a wooden bridge that was beside the asphalt road. Doc and Warren assessed the weight limit before walking back towards the Tahoe.

Suddenly, all four of them came to a complete stop and the radio went to Warren's cheek.

'Citizen Z must've found us.' 10K thought to himself, not feeling like speaking to a person that was asleep.

The moment he decided he could give his wrist a break from patting (Y/N)'s back was the moment she started to wiggle around in his lap.

'No!' He quickly continued the pattern from before so she'd stop trying to wake up.

Before his mother had passed, 10K had been the scared child during a stormy night. He memorized this pattern from his mother. It always made him go to sleep, and it seemed to work well on her too.

'Whatever it takes.' He thought, not allowing himself a moment's break.

He began to ask God to tell his mother that he was sorry for being a spoiled brat who always began to cry whenever his own mother took a break for her wrist as she tried to get him to go to sleep.

The 19-year-old allowed himself to glance down at the sleeping Thompson, having to crane and angle his neck and eyes to see her face. The facial expressions on the (S/C) girl was free from worry wrinkles and her eyebrows were lowered.

Redness from crying for so long and so hard was down to a light blush across her cheeks and maybe a bit redder under the cheek that was pressed against his shoulder. She was a sleeping child; a puppy.

'She's a puppy.' 10K softly laughed out loud at the only conclusion he could muster up from his assessment.

|| If you love someone, be sure to hold them close; if you don't, someone else will ||