S.1 E.4 ~ FMZ (Ch. 20)

Oh, God. The enemy's glaring eyes looked around for our sniper, but there was no benefit when he couldn't spot him. 10K must be hidden in the trees or in the house.

"We just want the vehicle, alright? So, give us the truck and we'll let you live to die another day."

So, we either hand over our only transportation or we die right on the spot with the vaccine going down with us. 10K wouldn't let either of those options pass. Neither would Charlie and Warren. 

We're in safe hands. 

"Give them the truck!" Murphy encouraged the enemy's conditions.

"Don't give them a goddamn thing!" Mack disagreed.

I turned my head to eye my brother before turning back around to the scene. I can't disagree with either of them; I have to stay neutral. This could end badly or we could end up walking away with nothing.

A puffing sound came from behind us. Every's attention went behind them at the noise to see if it was a greater threat. Which it was. The 'zombies' had more human friends. These people must be the ones Mack pointed out a couple of minutes ago.

They were watching us this whole time!

"Do the math, Garnett." Murphy was so willing to hand over the only transportation that would get him to his needed destination, "We have other priorities."

He doesn't even want to go to the lab to begin with. So, of course, he'd procrastinate any chance he got.

"Listen to your friend. Nobody wants to die." The guy held the gun high in front of Warren's face with a smug look, "But we're taking the truck."

"Say the word, Garnett." Mack reassured that he'd fight until death for this truck.

My brother wanted the truck as badly as Murphy wanted the bad guys to have it. I think it was the smug tone that the guy used when he spoke that sent Mack into such a rage.

He's always hated snobby people.

"Let them have it." Charlie said after a good three minutes of silence.

I cocked the shotgun in the midst of the silence, pulling the brown handle backwards before it shot forward on it's own. Just with that sound, it made the atmosphere suffocating.

"The truck. Let them have the truck." Charlie specified quickly. 

To show that he really meant it, our leader started to lower his gun. I could feel my shoulders drop to the floor, lowering the shotgun with them. The barrel was no longer pointed at the hostile people.

"Smart move." The enemy's chuckle made Mack scoff in disgust.

In the corner of my eye, I watched as Mack's lip lifted up before following back down to blend with his lower lip. Mack felt like he was losing; Mack Lee Thompson did not like to lose. Pushing us into the ditch beside the road, Mack stood in front of Addy and I as the men started to howl in victory, loading up on our stolen property. 

They loaded up in the truck like it was a clown car. Clowns that had more ammo and strength than us.

"Leave the Junker! They're not gonna get very far." Jersey Boy ordered.

"Murphy." Charlie warned.

Murphy rushed to the side of his protection.

"Beautiful." I heard Murphy grumble to himself.

I believe that he's the one that wanted to give them the truck. The feeling of something approaching me from behind made the hair on the back of my neck stand up straight. Acting on pure instinct, I attacked first.

Turning around, I grabbed the enemy's shoulders and pushing them down on top of my lifted, bent knee so their nose or head would make contact with the hard bone. This was a move that Warren had taught me.

More like drilled in my head. I raised my elbow in the air, but the person tackled me down to the asphalt before I could make any more assaults. We both grunted in pain. Such familiar blue eyes made me forget to struggle against their grip.

10K was panting with a bleeding nose that dripped down to my cheek. Howls of laughter could be heard as 10K pulled himself off of me. Shit

"Damn, kiddo. We taught you well." Doc chuckled, helping me up from the ground.

"I-I'm so, so sorry." I apologized, taking a step closer to the still bleeding 10K.

The charcoal hair colored male just looked at me with that stoic expression. Not even a sign he was in pain. God. I messed up big time.

"10K, I'm so freaking sorry.. I-I didn't know and-and you just scared me." I rambled on, thinking of any way to make this better.

Instead of just lying to me that I was forgiven, he walked off, leaving me just standing there rambling on. Ouch. That kind of hurt. Family isn't suppose to turn their backs on each other, but.. family isn't suppose to hurt each other.

Physically or mentally. Sighing, I felt a hard weight come down on top of my shoulder. 

"Come on." Mack muttered, grabbing my hand to link with his.

He led me over to the front of 'The Junker'. I bet there is a story behind the name. Somehow, Mack and Addy sat where the engine looked like it needed to go. Cassandra and Murphy sat in the tiny backseat while Warren took the driver seat and Charlie took the passenger.

Somehow, 10K and Doc were standing on the back of the old bug. Maybe there was a bumper or something? I sat on top of Mack's lap and propped my feet onto Addy's lap. I leaned against the arm he had splayed onto the side.

"I feel really bad." I muttered, leaning my head up at the sky.

The clouds mixed with one another in the bright blue sky as we moved along the deserted road. The apocalypse was dark, but the sky was still bright. 

As Mack spoke, I turned my head to look at 10K's cleaned up face, "Sis, you didn't know. I'm glad you did it. You've finally gained some apocalyptic instinct."

Shrugging, I leaned my head against his shoulder, looking ahead of us. I wish they learned I had apocalyptic instincts some other way. I didn't mean to hurt him like that. He probably wants his belonging back now.

The sound of my brother sniffing caught my attention. I turned to see him, leaning over to smell Addy.

"What?" She asked, confused at the odd actions.

|| "Mack Lee Thompson did not like to lose." ||