S.1 E.7 ~ Welcome to FU-Bar (Ch. 46)

"People are after --."

"Zombies. Zombies are inside the perimeter!" Skeezy shouted in a frizz, sounding worried for himself.

"Okay, listen up everybody. We need a few people to go check and clean up some Zs, and see what's going on around the perimeter." Sketchy asked of his customers.

When no one moved, willingly, Skeezy added, "Look people, no one's gonna win anything unless we stop these Zs from spoiling our fun, alright?"

That's when people started moving around to grab weapons. The guy that constantly hovered over the girl, who developed a quick crush on 10K, said something before taking off. Doc stayed with us, trusting that they had enough men and looked as if he knew what was going on.

Oh, God. What did Murphy do? 

"Okay! We're 500 yards out and we can't go any further! So, best shot wins! This is for all the cookies! First up!"

Sketchy hummed as he looked through the dark green magnifying glasses before calling out the target, "The judge! Fire!"

"Ladies first." 10K offered up.

"Screw you. I'm not a lady."

I mentally gasped at her words. Is that a confession?! With a bang, the Z was down by 10K's trigger finger.

"Beat that."

"'Kay." Was all she wrote before shooting right through the hole 10K had made on the judge.

Damn.

"Two bullets, one hole. I'm callin' it a tie!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've got ourselves a barn burner here. The thing's going into sudden death overtime! So, come on over and see me to put down your best bets before the next round!" Sketchy shouted, not really needing that loud megaphone.

"We've got a couple of fresh runners!" Skeezy shouted, suddenly tapping his fingers against the binoculars in a panic.

The girl muttered something to 10K, who immediately shot after the spoken words. What did she say? A whole horde started to rise from behind the tree line, coming out into the light. They were focused on only one target for the time being.

"Our diver! Our driver! They're getting Side Meat!"

Example One for the reason why no one should ever get close to the two con-men. Side Meat was too far gone.

"Ah! Give the man mercy!" Sketchy dramatically rolled out the words.

Two bangs and the man was good as dead. For good. The car kept going, though. Slowing down very slowly. Where are all these undead coming from? I bet they heard Sketchy's unnecessary megaphone volume.

"Hey, we've got ourselves a winner!"

Skeezy, actually, sounded relieved that 10K was the winner. That's our boy!

"Come on, kid. Now, lets go get your prize and we can get the hell out of here." Doc ushered 10K to his feet.

Cassandra and I got down to our knees in front of 10K's vacant booth to gather his belongings while Doc and our winner jogged over to a rushing Sketchy. I hooked 10K's satchel around one of my shoulders.

The not-so-heavy, brown bag hit my thigh every time that leg moved. 

"Closing time!" Sketchy shouted for himself and his partner in crime as he threw things back into the armory truck. 

Cassandra grabbed my hand, pulling me behind Doc and 10K. They were in front of us, gladly shooting/hitting whatever crossed their paths. Zombies were buzzing in all directions we ran in. They swung closely behind us, giving up when they couldn't grab either one of us on their first try.

People ran around as well, trying to gather whatever they could before hitting the road, again. Screams escaped the throats of dying people. The cries and pleads were loud and pitiful. Some of them were in sync with the other. 

They all tried to close the door on their fate, but it doesn't sound like it was shutting fast enough. Cassandra's grip on my hand tightened when the sounds started to echo louder around us, especially when we had to climb the gate to reach the truck quicker.

"Come on!" She shouted when my hand was yanked from her own.

10K's godforsaken satchel got stuck in between two of the rusting, metal rails, jerking my hand from hers. Ah, shit! After a couple of failed attempts, I finally got the holder out from around the locked gate. 

A Z snarled when it missed me by inches. I stuck my tongue out at the failure, feeling Cassandra's hand wrap around mine, again, and tug it forward. We continued our sprint, but this time, we were a bit behind the two men ahead of us.

The girl from the competition somehow caught up with 10K, running beside him. Closely. Too closely. I rolled my eyes, despite the fact there was Zs swirling around us all. Sneakily, I slipped my hand from Cassandra's, the pain becoming a bit too unbearable. 

She had good intentions but it was hurtful. The two lovers said something to the other, then 10K gave up our gun. What the hell?! 

"What is he doing?!" I shouted, becoming closer and closer to the love-birds.

"I don't know!" The brunette I did like admitted, grunting as she tried her hardest to run faster than a minute ago.

When we did reach the truck, relief flooded my whole body. Well, that was until out in the corner of my (E/C) eyes I watched a newly turned Z heading for Cassandra. She didn't make a move to run faster or dodge the attack.

She must not see it. Before logic could cloud my brain and become an option, I took the tackle from the Z. It's body clashed against mine. The undead didn't waste a second to grab onto my wrist so I'd be bounded by it's side. 

I cried out in pain like the ones I heard before when it's grip on my wrist only tightened. I dodged and tried my best to push it away with my forearms, but nothing was doing the job. Nothing.

"Hold him steady, kiddo!" Doc shouted from beside the tuck.

"Hard to do!" I grunted, barely missing a death kiss on my neck.

Damn it! My groans echoed throughout my whole body when just the full weight fell on top of me. Ears rung from the taken shot and fogged the encouraging shouts of my teammates to get up and come on.

Since my legs weren't prepared for the weight, they caved in and the limp body fell on top of my own. Then, it was removed. I panted at the new fresh of air that was allowed to flow through my lungs.

I yanked my throbbing wrists from the dead's grasp. Jesus fucking Christ, that hurts. As the Z's body was now falling to the right of me, I looked into a familiar envious green and chocolate brown orbs.

10K. Not waiting any longer, the raven haired shooter grabbed my wrist, forcing my body up and against his chest. We scrambled to move away from the scene and more towards the truck. Warren was in the driver seat, ready to go once 10K and I were loaded up.

The savior of my ass was the first on board, but leaned down to offer his hand. Hesitantly, I brushed my hand against his own. He clasped them together and helped pull me up to the bedding. 

Not wasting a second, Warren pressed down onto the pedal, jerking 10K's body into the flooring. Another grunt slipped pass my lips, feeling my head clash down onto something that wasn't metal. 

It felt more alive, more beating. My eyes scanned the area until I found the soft cushion. 10K's chest. 

"Thanks." I muttered quickly, excusing myself from on top of his body. 

Did that seriously just happen? I rushed to the left side of the truck while he went to the respectable right. I could feel the cool, summer air brush against the reddening cheeks when I realized that did just happen.

I really did just fall on top of 10K with my body in between his legs. We sat in a tensed silence, letting the screams of pain and horror leave from the back tailgate.

|| Those that are heartless once cared too much ||