S.1 E.7 ~ Welcome to FU-Bar (Ch. 44)

The boy merely shrugged at my statement, but he did let his shoulders relax, almost convincing me that he was trying to do as I suggested. I smiled to myself, aligning our hips side-by-side. Well, it wasn't really accurate.

It was more my hip into his thigh, but hey, we're getting somewhere with this. 10K looked down at me, confused at my new position beside him. I suddenly hit my hip into his thigh. 10K just looked even more confused, but he didn't have time to question this.

Skeezy had grabbed 10K's attention away from me.

"That's a real 50 caliber M82 Barret?"

10K completely forgot about my actions when that gun came into the picture. He forgot me. Over a gun. Classic apocalyptic boy move. 

"Genuine. Plus, we'll even throw in a few hundred rounds of shells." Skeezy announced proudly.

The old man threw the gun's barrel on top of his shoulder. The pose shouted 'powerful mind with a powerful gun'. The whole label I used to describe the pose was everything and the truth. Skeezy had a great mind; a deadly mind.

This man could get you to do whatever he wanted without you even realizing you're obeying him. The human mind is such a powerful weapon, if you know how to use it correctly. Eh, it was mainly Sketchy's brain that came up with all the ideas. 

"Seems a little overkill." Doc interrupted their proud moment, a little uneasy of the prize. 

"Yeah, but there's a lot of guys who like their toys. A lot of guys who might be willing to trade a vehicle for a sweet piece of steel for that 50. You know what I mean?"

Sketchy nudged his head over to 10K's dream gun, trying to get Doc to use that weed-intoxicated brain of his. 

"Where do I sign up?" 

10K took a step forward, intentionally or unintentional breaking my grasp from the unexpected move. Panic immediately relocated back into my mind. Loneliness shouted in the very back of my head.

The palm of my hand was increasingly  becoming sweaty at the thought of being trapped between all these people, alone. I'm not ready to go back to this kind of crowd; it's way too soon to do this. 

Quickly, I searched for Doc's appendage or shirt, but when I was about to latch onto Doc, who had a hand clasped around 10K's shoulder, someone else grabbed my wrist. They pulled my hand over to favor their shirt. 

I looked up to see his anomalous, but mundane, brown eyes looking back a me with such a calming expression. When isn't he calm? 10K released my skinny wrist when he felt my fingers twist around his cameo grey and white shirt. 

Visibly, my shoulders relaxed back down at the sense of a recognizable presence. I took a step closer behind 10K rather than toward Doc's back while the rest of the boys talked about vehicles and guns.

Cassandra stayed behind us, but Murphy left to do his own thing. We just listened to the four talk to one another; letting them have a normal conversation. Well, as normal as conversation goes in the apocalypse.

Sketchy started to tell the two boys about the competitors they were going to be going up against. I don't believe he's suppose to be doing that. A light smile graced my lips at the thought of the careless men helping us out in their own, illegal way. 

So sweet to their friends; so mean to the suckers. 

"Lets get you signed up, kid."

I could practically hear Sketchy's evil grin, but the arm he swung around 10K's shoulders nearly knocked my (S/C) ass out. Jesus Christ. I let go and took a step back before his knuckles could touch me.

Luckily.

"Woah. Sorry there, (Y/N)." Sketchy dipped his hat in an apologetic manner before glancing around the human-filled area. 

I could only figure he was looking for Mack.

"Where the boy at?"

"They were up ahead searching for help, but I guess we took different turns." Doc sighed, admitting the truth while he scratched the back of his neck.

Sketchy shrugged, "It's the apocalypse. How far could they have gotten?"

I kept silent but attentive, just reaching back over to grasp 10K's shirt. Skeezy took our attention away from Sketchy and over to the already lined up competitors. Inhaling the smoke filled area, I released my death grip from the back of 10K's shirt.

Quickly, I took a step back beside Cassandra, allowing the boys to talk and walk freely to our assigned booth. I latched onto her forearm, and she didn't seem to mind that much. 10K glanced behind him at Cassandra and I before doing a double check but not at us.

I turned my head to look at the beautiful, dark skinned teenager that was walking pass us. Her long brown hair trailed behind her, not trying to hide the appealing beauty of the face she had. No marks. 

No cuts. No scars. She looked like she was still living before the apocalypse. Wow. I found myself staring at the girl myself, even as she was setting up her station. How could someone look so flawless during this period of the world?

"Hey, focus." Doc knocked both of us out of our trances.

10K shook his head, getting on top of one kneecap, looking out the scope for testing. His muscles flexed every so often from balancing the heavy weapon and himself. His shoulders were tensed but relaxed in some type of way.

He enjoyed killing the undead, but he didn't enjoy the fact they had came up from the ground. Doc left us with 10K, saying something about not paying the entrance fee yet. Cassandra and I got on either side of him; I stayed on his left, blocking his view of the brunette.

Maybe I just want him to focus. Yeah. We need that car and to get that, we need that prize. Meaning, we really need our star shooter to keep his shit together.

"You're going to do great. Do you need anything?" I asked, giving him my most hopeful smile when he glanced my way.

He did another double take, but it wasn't at me. His eyes was wandering to the person behind my form. I rolled my orbs, grabbing his chin with one hand. I jerked his head towards me a little more.

That caught his attention real quick.

"Stop. We need this. You need this. Stop focusing on a girl that's going to die. Focus on this."

10K shook his head from my grasp, rolling his shoulders in sync. The raven haired boy leaned back down to focus his concentration on the scope. Sighing, my head swayed left and right at his teenage behavior. 

You don't see me staring at every boy/man I see! If he wants a ride, he's going to have to participate a little more with us. Not with a pack of strangers. Ugh, why am I being so forceful with him all of a sudden?

Mack!

|| But all I can think about is your hand on my bandaged wrist ||