S2 E3 : 🛑 ZR 🛑 (Ch. 146)

"Pa had a big farm that he wanted me to help with, but I never really had any big plans before it."

In my head, I was imagining this six-feet and something inches guy wearing overalls and a piece of grass sticking out of his mouth as he overlooked the cows and a forming field.

"Ten Thousand the Farmer." I snorted at myself, looking to the left of me.

I grinned from ear-to-ear while he looked more distant towards me. His eyes may have been on me, but those thoughts? They were probably going back to when times were simpler and he did have a choice on what he wanted to do on sunny days.

Now, you either do what you need to do to survive or you don't survive at all. When he finally snapped back into what was present, our eyes made contact once again.

This time, I had confirmation that when I brought up questions he'd be ask in the past, it brought up so many more memories than what I could think of for him. I wish I could fix the way he feels when he thinks about what could've been.

I felt the long van began to slow down, making me break from my selfless thoughts of concern for our sniper. I looked out the wide window of the front seats, watching as Warren pulled into a small little outlet.

Maybe five different shops were covering the asphalt ground. I could see mannequins dressed up in trending outfits from four years ago whenever she parked in front of this particular store.

A glossy amount of dust covered the windows from the lack of care only added to the apocalyptic feeling. So, those were the outfits years ago? Wow. A lot has changed; a lot can change.

Now the new trend is staying alive. I don't mean to brag, but I think I've been doing okay in that trend.

"We're going to make a quick stop here to grab some new clothes. In and out operation." Vasquez reminded us of our strict schedule.

Once we were all out and in front of the chosen store, it took 10K three minutes to pick the lock and Cassandra one minute to break the large window next to the store's egress. When we looked at her, then towards her master, all he could do was shrug at her actions.

He made her do it and did not apologize for the obedience. Like always. I only had a knife on me, thanks to Vasquez. Warren had yet to give me back a gun--which I don't blame her--, but she didn't even want me to have this weapon.

It took a lot of disagreeing from him to let me have the small switch blade. I know Warren is uneasy with me since 'that' scene. I mean, who wouldn't be? I literally pointed a loaded weapon at her and 10K.

I feel ashamed for the way I acted, but I was desperate and I wanted Murphy to feel what I was feeling in that moment. In times that you want to feel anything other than anger and pain, you'll do absolutely anything.

"It's clear." Vasquez stated loud and clear once he and Warren scouted ahead of us once inside the shop.

"Alright, find anything that may be important and change clothes for the weather." Warren informed us of our tasks.

Which can be fun when you realize you can style yourself. That's my favorite part about breaking into stores; I feel like I'm a normal teenager that didn't just lose the rest of her family.

• • An Hour Later • •

We walked up the steep hills of grass with tired legs and sweat running from our open pores. I wanted nothing more than to take a deep nap on these plains, and stay away from people--but 10K could stay since he was such a good sleeping partner.

The van had tapped out a mile away from the shops, and we couldn't fed it the water it needed so desperately. Addy had changed into a black leather jacket, minus the sleeves, and a black tank top beneath the thick leather.

Her pants changed into skinny jeans and her boots looked a little less damaged than the last pair. Murphy refused to change out of the stupid fake cowboy shirt, and he refused to let Cassandra change her attire as well.

I didn't even try to get her to change the outfit. Why would I be that nice to her and her master? 10K, on the other hand, changed out of his clothes for the first time since I had met him. And I can't lie, he looked good in full black.

He was now sporting a black t-shirt with his dark vest over it. More layers against the wind are always preferred. The cargo pants still hung on his hips, though, just like the wore out combat boots.

I doubt they had many boots in the men's shoes since I could barely find a pair for me. Even though Doc had a whole ass store in his hands to change his looks, he decided to keep suspenders on.

I guess it was a fashion trend he never wanted to let go. I convinced him to change his shirts, though! He was now wearing a grey-ish shirt with white long sleeves underneath the t-shirt. Low-and-behold, Warren changed her outfit as well.

Her attire consisted of a black t-shirt being covered by a black leather jacket to save her from the harsh winds of the apocalypse. Speaking of the leader, she took point of the team while Vasquez and 10K hovered around the back of the group.

Doc stayed behind his leader, respectively, while I stayed beside him. Addy was in between Murphy and I. Cassandra, for some odd reason, wasn't staying to close to her master or the group. She was even behind Vasquez and 10K while Murphy stayed a couple feet away from Doc and I.

That's good, though. As long as he is ten feet away from me, I don't care where he's at. I still want to beat his ass.

"We are going in the wrong direction. Again." Murphy had to make sure everyone knew that the word 'again' needed a little sentence by itself.

"You left us no choice." Warren began to slow down her pace until she came to a complete stop and placed her hands over her hips, "Too much fallout in the west."

Because of him. Again.

"Again, that was not my fault." Murphy, of course, defended himself since no one else felt compelled to do so.

It never will be his fault, will it? He can literally ruin a whole family, and it will never be his fault, will it? Because Murphy is always right? Doc and I came to a complete stop on the right side of Warren while Murphy holed up the other side.

Vasquez and 10K were behind us before we could dare question their absence. Cassandra, on the other hand, was more sluggish than a man with a broken leg, who was trying to keep up with his group.

|| Stars are getting tangled in her wild mess of hair ||