S.1 E.13 ~ Doctor of the Dead (Ch. 94)

I moved my vision around from the two men in the front seats to Warren, who had a similar bewildered expression on her dark skinned face.

"N-No, they're-they're just gonna take out of my--."

"Oh, trust me, they're gonna have some kind of tube or prod rammed in every spare orifice, or my name ain't Sally."

It isn't! It's Stephen Beck! What does he think he's accomplishing? He knows Murphy is petrified of doctors and anything medically related.

"You know this one time I had a catheter. Dude, you better hope they don't go that route."

"Doc!" Warren finally took a figurative step in between the two, the tone of her voice proved she was confused as to why Doc was speaking like this.

She surely didn't approve him spooking Murphy this bad. I could feel just how nervous Murphy started to get. This was so out of character, even for Doc. Is he deliberately trying to make Murphy pee his pants?

What if Murphy tries to show out now that he thinks we're releasing him to needle monsters?

"What?" Doc asked as if he was innocent of not scaring the shit out of the person beside him.

Light blue orbs looked in the rear view mirror to give the dark eyed woman behind him his full attention.

"How much further?" 

Warren chose to change the topic, knowing that it would only bring Doc further into the conversation if she got on to him. We need to steer clear of that no-no topic for now. 

"Uh, I dunno. Sixty-five miles, maybe?"

I think Warren had said something about Fort Collins, Colorado. All I know is I'm thankful the destination isn't California anymore. 

"Anyway, I'm gonna miss you, dude." Doc sighed in content, not realizing the damage that he had just done on Murphy's mental preparation, "What 'bout you, kid? What you got planned after this?" 

The old man finally brought up a conversation that was interesting enough to keep us entertained.

"Uh, I don't know. Still got six-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-eight to go." 10K vaguely revealed his plan for after Murphy is safe and sound in a high-security compound, "Might take a break for awhile, though. Head up north to somewhere cold."

I turned my head to study his face. Every inch of it, my brain made a mental sketch of the clear skin. From the slope of his long nose to the structure of his perfectly curved jawline. What am I even trying to find?

Something that tells me he's lying? Hesitation anywhere?

"The Zs don't fare too well in the cold." 10K added, not sure if we knew this fact or not.

A life with barely seeing any Zs, huh? Sounds strange to think of life without the undead. Yeah, it's scary, but once your mind has adapted to the thought of killing something, how do you go back to school? 

To a family that doesn't scavenge to find a meal?

"Yeah, I don't fare too well in the cold myself." Doc commented, "Roberta?"

"I don't know either. Maybe follow the sunset. I've never been to California." Warren answered with a straight forward reply.

Her eyes were playing out the dream she wanted to happen. I don't think I'd be able to stay cooped up in a car for that long.

"Kiddo, what 'bout you? What does your teenage heart desire after all this?"

Silence answered for me until I thought of what I really planned to do, "I think-I think I'll either end up going with one of you--if you'll have me, of course--, or I'll try my luck with Mack. Whichever fits my mood at the time."