S2 E2 : 🔳 White Light 🔳 (Ch. 134)

"Look out!"

Slender fingers curled around the cloth, nails slightly scratching my skin, to yank me on my feet the moment shells came popping out and hitting the front mirror off of the vehicle.

Instead of simply running to the other side of the car, where it was clear from bullets and weapons, 10K made us head for a more stable shelter. With his body behind me as a man-made shield, he kept a hand on my back to push me forward.

If anything was to hit us, his body would be the first to hit the ground.

"Look out, kids!" Doc shouted from the open space, warning us even though they were the ones really out there.

I felt debris from the shells bouncing against the wall, fall on top of my body as the woman proved to be off her game by inches. The property we were using now suffered it's first damage from the apocalypse in all years it had been bricked here plus the three years in the Z World.

The lady now reloaded her weapon to reuse on us since she failed the first four times.

"Fuck!" I shouted, the rocks scaring the hell out of me.

I was going to keep running and hopefully do a circle back to the group, but 10K grabbed my shoulders from behind. He roughly pushed my back against the wall before securing his back beside me.

Our bodies barely had an inch apart from the other. He was the closest to the corner, looking out towards the enemy and our group. The right hand that held the sniper extended in front of my stomach, protecting the most bloody parts of my body from stray shells if they were somehow able to swerve around the sharp edge.

There was no approaching enemy coming from the right flanks or ahead of us, but it made me feel safe to know he was there. He kept his weapon closer to my body rather than his, which was more out in the battlefield.

The long weapon was pressed against my stomach further when another round sounded off. She's quick to reload.

"(Y/N)!" Mack shouted for me as he tried to make a move towards us.

At that attempt, Mack only got a foot away from their cover when a shot just barely missed his foot. He had no choice but to jump back towards their cover, his shoulders hitting the side of the car.

I gripped my weapon even tighter in the palm of my right hand, looking around the immediate area for threats while 10K focused on the battle. He didn't have to take me with him the way he did.

A shove against the vehicle while he ran for this cover would've been sufficient to keep me safe and with Warren and Doc.

"10K," Warren shouted at us, giving us a simple description of our own mission, "Murphy!"

To continue on without them depends on if we can get to the other end of the street with keeping our blood inside our body.

"Take my rifle." 10K turned his head to look down at me while I looked up, "I'll lay cover fire for us if you give me your gun."

Without thinking twice about any other options, I handed over my handgun to trade for his Knight. I quickly wrapped the barely used strap of his weapon around my shoulder, feeling him wrap arm across my shoulders as if we were going steady.

"Keep your head down until you see the sidewalk."

I nodded obediently at his instructions, feeling his large hand squeeze my shoulder to reassure me everything was going to be fine. He pulled my body closer to his own so I wouldn't be too far behind or ahead of him.

I could feel the cold sweat running down his ribs as the shirt's cotton fabric soaked up the salty water. A chance to give myself count down was unavailable. He was already ushering me away from our safe position behind the wall before I could even form the word 'one'.