Chapter One

A L E X I S

"Stop staring at that screen Sophie!" I warned my older sister. "You've been so absorbed in your laptop for over an hour, it's not good for your eyes!" She broke the staring contest with her computer to look up at me and then rolled her eyes.

"How about no? You never listen to me anyway, so why should I listen to you?" She spat back flipping her hair over her shoulder before turning back to face her screen.

What could be so important?

"Because this is America and I know my rights," I replied. " And besides I really don't care about what you think about my outfits!" I added and I could feel her roll her eyes.

She scoffed, "Exactly it's a free country so I don't need to listen to you either. You have prom coming up in a couple of months but no one's going to ask you if you keep dressing like that." Sophie sighed before running her through her wavy caramel brown hair.

"Well maybe except that weird guy who wears suspenders all day," She joked but paused trying to remember my friend's name.

"Ha-ha very funny," I sarcastically said. "His name is Andy." I rolled my eyes.

"Hey you can't blame me, I only notice hot guys and to be honest he's not one." She shrugged.

"Ugh I can't deal with you right now!" I threw my hands in the air.

"I'm playing babygirl, chill." She laughed. "Help me do this please?" She turned her laptop to face me.

I pushed my glasses up to my eyes and looked at the laptop. A broad smile made its way to my face. "So, your manicured nails couldn't help you get work done hm?" I taunted her and she playfully nudged my arm.

"Beg me." I crossed my arm on my chest.

"Stop!" She groaned.

"Alright then call me when you actually want to get your work done." I smiled victoriously and pretended to walk out of her room.

"Just help me!" Sophie pouted.

"Fine." I agreed.

I took the laptop and started typing comfortably on it. She grabbed her phone but she also had difficulties typing on her phone.

Is the beauty really worth all this inconvenience? Getting manicures just so it makes that it makes that tap sound?

"But for real Lexi, you got mom genes, if you fix yourself up a bit, you'd look stunning." She started again.

"Are we going to have this conversation again?" I hissed.

"We wouldn't need to have this conversation repeatedly if you just change the way you present yourself. Look at Jasmine for example," She compared.

Sophie refers to Jazz a lot when it comes to talking about my choice of fashion. Jazz is a lot like Sophie, she uses makeup, keeps up with the latest trends and she also wears those killers that girls at my school call heels. I mean who is comfortable wearing those things? I read that they are not good for the heel of your feet.

My best friend and sister always tried to change the way that I dress but I never let them. I think it's completely ridiculous to dress up to go to school like it was some sort of beauty pageant and besides I'm comfortable the way I am.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Alexis Coleman, I have long dark brown hair with caramel highlights. My eyes are a stunning shade of green; emerald green to be exact. My small eyes compliment my heart shaped face and small lips.

While Sophie and I share some features, Sophie makes her features more pronounced by her choice in fashion and make up.

I only have two friends Jasmine, my best friend and Andy. We've been friends since the fifth grade.

After the brief argument I had with Sophie, I sat at my reading table and played sudoku. Yes, I enjoy playing sudoku, while some of my peers prefer going to parties and getting wasted. Complete waste of time.

I can't judge them for it though, I mean that's their idea of fun while mine Is being quiet in my room playing games.

After winning a few games I laid in my bed and watched the ceiling fan spin around in circles due to boredom for a few seconds before I my phone beeped.

Only four people ever text or call me; Sophie, Jasmine, Andy and my mom.

I picked up my phone and saw a notification from Andy.

Andy:  Hey there!

Me:  Hi Andy!

Andy: How are you? Did I wake you? Were you asleep?

Me: Oh no, I'm glad you texted. I was bored anyway.

Andy: I was also bored, so tell me, now that summer's over and school is starting soon are you still worried about Christina?

Christina. My bully from years ago.

I closed my phone and put it on my chest. As Christina's image appeared in my head, a sigh escaped my lips. I really wonder why she hates me so much when I really didn't do anything to her.

Andy: I'm sorry for bringing her up, I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to be scared anymore. It's senior year, she can't pick on you like she used to.

Me: Totally...

Andy: Lexi, I wanted to ask you something important...

Me: Okay, go for it.

I closed my phone again and this time, my heart is pounding. Not for any particular reason, just the fact that he's making me so anxious.

Andy: Never mind, it's nothing important.

He's always act like this, saying something but never completing his statements and it's so annoying.

Jazz thinks he likes me, but I don't think so. We've been friends since we were kids and after all, the male population doesn't notice me in that way.

After playing a few more games of sudoku out of boredom, I fell asleep thinking about the school year that was about to start.