Chapter Thirty

Alexis POV

What the fuck?

"Oops..." Someone commented before letting out a chuckle.

I can recognize that chuckle any day or time, it's Christina.

"What the fuck?" I cursed.

"Our nerd is such a baddie now, she learned curse words." Charlotte chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

"Seems like she's been getting some good D of late," Christina suggested as she smirked.

"Are you guys done?" I visibly rolled my eyes.

"Excuse you?" Christina gasped.

"You've had your fun. You poured your milkshake on me so are you satisfied now?" I groaned and grabbed my tray before I walked away.

This sudden boost of confidence, I like it.

When I noticed they were all staring at me, I walked swaying my hips from left to right to make sure they noticed the change.

As I walked out to the garden I heard whispers as I got closer.

"I thought you said we should keep us a secret?" A familiar feminine voice asked.

"We should. Let's meet up tonight. The same place as last time." A male voice answered.

"Okay, I'll go back now."

Who could that be?

Just as I was in thought, Jasmine walked into me with a guilty expression.

"Who was that?" I questioned teasingly.

"Nobody." She answered way too quickly.

"Tell me Jasmine!" I demanded.

"It was Ash!" She confessed.

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought the voice sounded similar to-."

"Similar to who?" She frowned

"I'm sorr-."

"Whatever Alexis!" She brushed my shoulder as she walked past me.

Pick perfect timing Alexis, damn.

--

I walked home by myself and tried opening the door from outside but it didn't open, so it meant someone was at home. I knocked on the door and was greeted by Sophie.

"I'm on my way out, lunch is on the counter, mom's coming home today. You know she's been at the Matthews for awhile so please make pasta for dinner." Sophie narrated as she came outside as I walked in.

"Okay!"

I dropped my bag upstairs and came down to the kitchen where I saw a box of pepperoni pizza laying on the counter.

Typical Sophie, lunch is pizza.

I settled on the couch where I played a re-run of the finale of suite life on deck while eating the leftover pizza.

Later, I made spaghetti and meatballs for the dinner and continued to binge watch old Disney shows until a knock made me leave my comfortable position.

As I sluggishly walked to the door, I realized the person was getting impatient because they kept banging on the door.

"Jeez! I'm coming!" I yelled as I slowly made my way to the door.

"You can't ju-" I stopped as I opened the door.

"You were saying?" The rude old man looked at me.

"I-I'm sorry sir, I thought it was my sister." I stuttered.

"I told you guys to pay up didn't I?" The landlord glared at me.

"About that sir, my mom will pay you really soo-"

"I'm sick of hearing that, your mother better pay up or- "

"Or what happens sir?" My mother spoke from behind him.

"The mother came to defend her little cub. Listen I'm here for my money!" He demanded.

"Here!" My mother said taking an envelope from her bag and throwing it at him. He picked it up and counted it.

"You're off the hook for now,don't forget this months rent is due in a couple of days." He walked away happily.

"Oh mom!" I ran into her arms.

"Sweetie,"

"How was the week over there?"

"It was alright," She replied a little bit out of breath.

"Mom you're shaking." I examined her face as she shivered.

"I'm fine, I just need rest."

"No, mom you need a doctor!"

"Enough Alexis, we don't have enough money for that, okay? I used this month's salary on the rent. Where's Sophie? I need to tell you girls something."

"She's not home."

"When she gets here,get me from my room"

"Won't you at least have dinner?"

"I already ate!" She yelled as she walked upstairs.

I'm getting really worried about her, she's sweating and she's getting a fever, I need to find out what's going on.

I walked over to the kitchen to see the spaghetti I had made and only took a meatball, since I didn't have an appetite.

It was exactly 7:36pm when Sophie came home, I know because I looked at the clock.

"What happened? You look mad."

"Some guy came to the shop and-"

"Sophie is that you?" My mom asked.

"Yes mom, I need to tell you what happened over at the cafe today."

"Don't bother."

Sophie glanced over at me and I shrugged because even I didn't know what was going on. Mom came down and made us both seat as her expression turned serious.

"We no longer own the cafe." She announced.

"We what?" Soph yelled.

"We don't."

"What happened mom?"

"The cafe wasn't doing well so I made plans for us to rebrand but it was way off my budget. I borrowed some money on the condition that I would pay before it would re-open or they'd take it away. I thought I would be able to pay so I accepted but it was taken away before then."

"It's alright," I tried to console her.

"No it is not!" Sophie got up to her feet. "Dad left that cafe for us, it was our last reminder of hun! You didn't need to re-furnish or re-open. It was perfect. But you had to do what you thought was right and now we lost it. I hope you're happy now!" She scolded mom.

"I know it was my fault. That's why I'm apologizing."

"Save your apology. It won't bring back our cafe." Sophie spat.

"I'll try to get it back, I promise you."

"Who got the cafe?"

"My boss, Mr Gregory Matthews."

Well look at that, what do you know? The whole family are a bunch of jerks."

**