52

I had just finished up packing up my art supplies to take to the Micheals house for the twins art lessons. Luckily this time around Jr. and Phoebe were out with Tyler doing something else on this hot ass summer day, so they couldn't bug me to tag along.

Although it was a short trip to the Micheals house, I was happy I'd be getting those few minutes alone on the ride there. Almost every waking moment of my current life was spent with someone, making plans, or worrying about all of the mess going on.

The plans for the event in Alice are in full swing. Kai was at a meeting with his dad and the other set of leaders from the pack they were now merged with, and it wouldn't be till later this evening that we were supposed to meet for our late night adventure date.

After training so hard all week I was happy to finally let go and have some sort of real downtime with him. I think the both of us needed it, especially him. Now that we were mated his responsibilities to the pack had only become more demanding, it wouldn't be long till I received responsibilities of my own. Given our current situation and my background, Elise and Damien thought it would be best to wait to bring me fully into leadership until at least the issue with Ezekiel has passed. I was thankful for it, but I still felt guilty. Once again my problems were placed in the hands of others, and it was driving me insane.

Kai and Tyler's words of reassurance always came to my head when I felt this guilt. I do my best to remember their way of life has alway been different from mine. When I or my family was in any sort of trouble, we had to fend for ourselves. When money was tight, my parents had to figure out how to come up with what they needed alone. They didn't have an entire group of people who would lend them 100,000 dollars without question if they needed it.

This new way of life was definitely going to be an adjustment, especially my mate bond with Kai that had only gotten stronger. If keeping my emotions to myself wasn't already hard, it only got that much harder. I knew I still needed to tell him the information I got from Jane yesterday, but I was dreading it. I feel like I've always got some sort of bad news to tell him when we're together, and the idea that someone was messing with my head while I was sleeping was nerve wracking. So much so I hardly got a wink of sleep last night. I had dark circles under my eyes and I definitely looked paler than usual. Sleep deprivation does not suit me well.

I arrived at the Micheals house just as quickly as I suspected. My racing thoughts making the trip feel even shorter.

Sure enough my arrival didn't go unnoticed by Maya and Angelique who stood excitedly by the front door when I got out of the car.

"Hey guys!" I say with the widest smile I could muster up. They both greet me with loud hello's and tight hugs. Oh to be 12 and naive again...

"What are we going to do today?" They ask excitedly.

"I brought some water colors for you guys, thought it might be fun to branch out a little." I say with a wide smile.

The girls smile and nod and race each other to the dining room with me close behind.

"Hey Elise!" I call out once I enter the kitchen area and see her cooking. I feel like every time I come over she's cooking.

"Oh thank god you're here. The girls haven't stopped raving about the last lesson you gave them." She says coming up to me and wrapping her arms around me.

"Are you alright hun? You're a bit pale..." she trails off as she pulls back and takes my cheeks in her hands and examines my face. Her brows furrow when she notices my bags.

"Just tired" I chuckle.

She gives me a sad smile. If it wasn't for the girls excitement I'm sure she'd push me to talk to her about whatever is going on in my head. Sounds familiar huh?