66

The sound of a faint beeping slowly began to coax me out of my sleep.

I felt a warm dainty hand in mine, then a very subtle burning sensation in my left hand.

I wince at the feeling, and the person holding my hand chuckles.

"I thought you were coming to."

My eyes slowly open and shut again at the bright light above me.

"Oop. Sorry. Let's try that one more time." She says softly.

Behind my lids I can tell the bright light had been shut off. When I open them again my vision takes a bit to clear up, but on the right side of me stood Dr. Thompson with a soft smile on her face.

"Dr. Thompson?" I try to say, but my throat is awfully dry.

"Here" she says handing me a cup with a straw. She holds the cup as I sip water from it. I feel like I haven't drank anything in days.

"What happened?" I ask after she pulls the straw from my lips and sets the cup down on the bedside table.

She takes a deep breath and clears her throat. "Well you're in the hospital here in Houston. We were able to get you stable at a hospital in Coahuila before we transferred you."

"Where's Kai?" I ask once my mind starts to piece together the last few things I remember.

"He went to grab something to eat downstairs."

"How long have I been out?"

"About 2 days. We needed to reset a few of your ribs so you were on heavy medication. We just transferred you here last night."

I take in all of the information slowly. I can't believe I was out for 2 days. Then it hits me. My eyes fall down to my stomach. The blanket covered me but I rested my hand on top of it carefully. "What about the-"

"We tried to save the baby." She starts cutting me off mid sentence. "By the time we got you to the first hospital it was too late." She adds with sadness in her tone.

A hard pang of pain hits my chest at her words.

I lost her.

Tears began to fall from my eyes without me even noticing. My chest was aching from the loss, and I began to feel my heart rate pick up. My skin felt cold and yet I began to feel sweat bead on my forehead.

The monitor that was tracking my heart rate picked up and I started breathing heavier.

Dr. Thompson doesn't say anything, but grabs my hand tightly in hers.

Before she speaks, Kai's scent immediately filled my nose and I snap my head to the door.

He looked like he was just running. He was slightly out of breath as he slowly walked into the room. His eyes were bloodshot, his hair looked like he had been running his fingers through it constantly because it stuck out in weird places, and his stubble was a little longer than he usually kept it.

When he took notice of my erratic heart beat he made his way to the opposite side of the bed and carefully laid himself on the side and cradled me in his arms as I cried.

Dr. Thompson released my hand and patted it before leaving us in the room alone.

"I'm so sorry" I say in between my choked sobs.

Kai holds me a little tighter, but not much. More than likely due to my healing ribs. I wanted him to hug me tighter till the aching pain in my chest went away.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." He says rubbing my shoulder as he places soft kisses on top of my head. The shakiness in his voice absolutely tore me apart, and I could feel his pain as easily as I could feel mine.