65

Kai's POV

The last two days have been an absolute fucking blur, but the worst of it was over now

Ezekiel's pack like my parents said was no match for ours. Although his men were ruthless and strong, we had the numbers, and in battle we only lost one. Anna.

I felt terrible when they discovered her body. Part of me felt to blame for making her go in to find Lilith. Maybe she was right, I should've gone in myself, then maybe she would've survived and it would've been me instead.

I dreaded having to tell Lilith, but Elaine told me she was there when it happened. It hurt even more to know that. My innocent mate had to watch her own blood being murdered like that.

If handling Anna's loss wasn't hard enough, Lilith and I lost our baby.

The doctors in Coahuila did everything they could but it was too late. There was too much damage.

"Fuck" I mutter as I rest my face in my hands, and my tears fall freely.

After Dr. Thompson told me she'd be waking up soon I walked out and found the nearest stairwell I could sit in. I wasn't ready to face her. I needed to get my own emotions under control or I'd burst right in front of her. She'll need me, and I need to be there to hold her while she mourns her loss.

The sound of the door above me snaps me out of my thoughts, but I keep my head down.

The scents were my parents.

They each sat at the steps above mine. My mom wrapped her arms around my neck and rests her head on top of mine.

"I'm sorry baby." She says hugging me tighter before letting me go, soon after I feel my dads hand on my back.

"How am I supposed to tell her we lost our first baby? What am I supposed to tell her about her aunt?" I ask shakily.

"You just tell her the truth." My mom says simply.

"You don't need to fear breaking in front of each other. She's your mate. The both of you need each other right now." My dad adds on.

"I can't" I stutter.

"But you have to." He responds and squeezes my shoulder.

"The both of you are gonna be okay." My mom finally says. "Just don't push each other away." She adds.

I nod my head at her words.

I remember her telling me the same thing when I talked to her about Lilith and I having issues communicating. God how I wish that was our one and only issue. Those problems feel so long ago and it was only about a month ago.

I groan when I feel a deep ache in my chest. My skin began to run cold and I felt this intense sudden anxiety and sadness somewhere inside of me.

"She's awake" I say and stand to my feet.

"Her parents will be here soon. I'll tell them to give you both a few minutes." My mom says with a soft smile.

"Go" my dad says patting my back.

I run up the steps and down the hall towards Lilith's room. The anxiety and sadness in me is overwhelming as I come closer and closer to her room.

When I walk in my heart breaks.

Her eyes are puffy and red. Her eyebrows are furrowed deep in sorrow and her hands lightly clutch her stomach.

My beautiful girl looks absolutely broken.