24

Kai and I were currently parked in front of my parents house. My dads car was gone, so he wasn't home but it was about noon so my mom was definitely up already.

I knew it was going to be like pulling teeth trying to get her to talk but I knew I had to for my own safety and now Kai's pack. So many people depended on this and it made my stomach turn.

"I'll wait to talk to my parents" he says after we had sat in silence for a while.

"Why not today?" I ask confused.

"I'd rather wait till I know I have information about your family before bombarding them today" he says.

That's true. The plan was for me to talk to my mom and he talk to his parents, but I guess talking to his parents would be useless without the information about my family. At least that was one thing that could be put off for later, but how much later all depended on my mom.

"I'm nervous" I say looking at Kai now.

"I know, but it has to be done" he says taking my hand in his and placing a kiss to the top of it.

"I'll call you later?" I say and he nods.

I lean over and give him a quick kiss.

"Call me if you need me to come back" he says before I get out of the car.

I nod and shut the door behind me and make my way to the front door. Every step felt like I had bricks on my feet.

When I opened the door the house was pretty quiet, Abuelita, Phoebe, and Jr. were nowhere  in sight, but my mom was sitting at the kitchen table eating a sandwich.

"Hi mami" I say walking towards her.

"Hey baby" she says then looks at my clothes and back up to my eyes with a curious expression.

"I went running this morning with Kai" it was only half a lie.

"Oh yeah Phoebe told me you were with him" she says going back to eating.

"Where is everyone?" I ask referring to our very quiet home.

"Your dad and Abuelita took the kids swimming" she says. I nod, I wonder why she didn't go.

"I need to talk to you about something." I say already feeling my hands start to shake.

"What's up?" She says tapping the open seat in front of her.

I sit down and take a deep breath.

"I don't even know where to start" I chuckle nervously. When I look at her she looks just nervous as me.

"I know about our wolf gene mami" I begin. She swallows hard but doesn't say anything.

"Kai is my mate and-"

"You found your mate?" She asks horrified.

I nod slowly.

She shakes her head and looks down then covers her face in her hands. Abuelita was happy when I told her I found my mate, she looks terrified.

"You can't see him anymore Lilith, I know that's a lot to ask but you can't be with him."

I'm taken back by her words. I was definitely not expecting this.