1

My finger hovered over the submit button. This was my last term paper that had to be submitted by 12am and it was 11:56pm. There was literally no more time for me to obsess over the perfection of this paper, but I was still shitting myself as I finally pressed submit. "Fuuuuuck okay okay I did it." I say taking in a deep breath.

"Did you submit your paper already?" My roommate calls from the bathroom.

"Yes!" I yelled back nervously.
Jess walks out with a towel on her head and around her body. "Why are you so nervous?" She laughs digging through her drawers for her clothes.

"This is it I could either graduate in a few weeks or be signing up for my the same classes again because I'm a failure" I say plopping back on my bed.

"Look, I'm sure you did fine I mean you made it this far." She shrugs. "Just go home for the weekend and pretend your entire future isn't on the line." She glances at me from over her shoulder giving me a small smirk.

"Yeah that's helpful thanks" I scoff and put my pillow over my head.

She laughs and goes back into the bathroom to change. When she closes the door I take the pillow off my face and stare at the ceiling.

I know she was kidding but she's technically not wrong. These grades depend on if I finally graduate or not. I'm the first college graduate in my family so there is a lot riding on this. I get up and sigh looking around the room. I literally need to do anything to stop this anxiety.

Work, I could go to work. It's Friday so the restaurant should be packed, they'll appreciate the extra hand. I pull out my phone and send a text to my manager making sure it was okay for me to do overtime. I worked at a very high end restaurant in the city. Lots of cocky business men who are very generous with tips. Which is basically how I'm paying for college.

Jess walks out of the bathroom wearing a short red party dress that clung to her slim figure. Her hair was in a bun at the top of her head and only one of her eyes had dark Smokey eyeshadow.

"Going to a party?" I ask laying my back against the wall.

"Yesss it's gonna be the last party for this semester you should come!" She says digging through her drawers again.

My phone chimes with a text from Maggie.

"Yes Please! Super busy tonight!"

"Nah I'm going into work tonight" I say standing up and going to my closet for my uniform.

"Seriously? It's supposed to be your day off" she turns to look at me "I swear that place takes advantage of you"

I take off my sweatpants and T-shirt and put on my black slacks and white button up. "No I asked for the extra hours, I need the money and I need to distract my mind" I say looking for my shoes.

"You're a 21 year old college student and your choice of relaxation after submitting your last term paper is to go to work?" She asks with disbelief in her tone.

I put on my shoes nodding my head. "Yeah I guess so" I say and stand up and adjust my uniform.

"They could've at least given y'all cuter uniforms for such a high end place"

I look at myself in the floor length mirror we share. I stood up straight adjusting my uniform again. I'm about 5'6 and almost a spitting image of my mother. Unfortunately I'm not as blessed in the chest area the way she is, but I have her same curves and facial features and her wild curly brown hair, which at the moment is being forced back by loads of hair gel and tied into a neat bun. My eyes are a dark green shade which is another difference between us. She says I get it from my dads side. I frown a bit taking a glimpse of Jess in the mirror as she stands behind me fully dressed now checking out her outfit in the mirror. I wish I was as fit as she was.

"You look nice" I say turning and facing her giving her a soft smile.

"Thank you" she says with a wide smile stepping back and doing a twirl in the middle of our room.
I shake my head laughing and grab my purse off the floor.

"Be safe tonight!" I call leaving the room and heading to work for the evening.

Welcome to my story! I hope the first chapter peaked your interest enough for you too keep reading, and if it did please don't forget to hit the little ⭐️

Thanks! -Zeri