9

It was the morning of my 2nd date with Kai, and I had woken up earlier because I yet again had another nightmare. Luckily this one wasn't as bad, and by that I mean I didn't wake anyone up by screaming my head off in the middle of the night.

When I woke up I knew I was the only one up because it was currently 4 am. Since it was so early I decided I'd go sit in the kitchen and maybe sketch a little.

Once I grab all of my materials and take a seat at the kitchen table I put in my set of headphones and get to sketching. I loved sketching and listening to music. I had a playlist made specifically for when I'm working on anything. It was a playlist mixed with a lot of random music from Russ to The Contortionist. It was music I could mindlessly go through either moving to the beat or singing along with it.

The song "Impossible" by Nothing but Thieves came on, my current favorite. I hum along to the words, my hand knowing what it was drawing before my mind did. I drift off into the music, enjoying the soft words.

"I could drown myself in someone like you
I could dive so deep I never come out
I thought it was impossible
But you make it possible"

My thoughts are interrupted when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I jump in my seat and turn my head to face the person behind me.

"Hey mami what you doing up so early?" I ask taking one of my earbuds out.

"It's 5:30 I'm always up at this time." She says giving me a curious look and going to the kitchen and pulling out the necessities for making coffee.

"What are you doing up?" She asks glancing at my sketch pad.

I'm surprised I've been drawing this whole time. "I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd sketch" I say looking down at my piece suddenly realizing what I was drawing.

"Who is that handsome devil?" She asks coming and standing by me looking at the notebook.

"No one" I say a little too quickly and shutting my notebook from her view.

"Just an image in my head" I say smiling and standing.

"Want me to help make breakfast?" I ask setting my materials aside.

"No that's alright I'll just be having coffee, your dads not going into work today his backs been hurting."

My dad works for a company that builds big camping trailers, he does a lot of walking and lifting all day which has caused him to have a bit of a bad back.

"So when do you want to go outfit shopping?" She asks excitedly.

"Mom I said we didn't have to" I say feeling a little uncomfortable.

"And I said I still wanted to, how does this Saturday sound? The 13th is next week so we should do it soon."

I sigh and nod my head, "Saturday's good, that way Phoebe can come, I know she'll want to go" I say before standing and grabbing my things.

"I'm gonna go put my things away" I say and walk to my bedroom.

Luckily Phoebe was still knocked out, so I was able to look at my sketch without her prying eyes.

"I fucking drew Kai" I whisper out loud staring at the sheet in front of me.

Only part of his face was shaded in with shadows, but I definitely knew it was him. Those gorgeous eyes still recognizable even though only one eye was completed, and the other only partially shaded in.

I wasn't sure how long I stared mesmerized at my work, but I quickly shut the book again when I heard Phoebe stir behind me in her sleep. Once I knew she wasn't going to get up I opened the book one last time and look at the drawing. I think I'd leave this one unfinished at least for now.
~
I figure we could head towards Galveston at around 4. I had texted him later that morning to be ready by then and to dress casual. The nice part about this place was you didn't have to be all dressed up. Some galleries have a dress code but this one was a free for all.