19

It was the day of the ball. Kai had told me he'd pick me up around 6.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about so many things. One being that I would be wearing a dress that was way more revealing than any dress I had ever worn. Two, I was about to attend a ball with a shit ton of werewolves, and three, Kai would be presenting me as his mate. I was more embarrassed at the fact that all of these people would know we were not fully mated yet, but as I was getting ready I tried my best not to think about it.

I found the entire mating process strange, the fact that a bunch of people... well werewolves, could tell when other wolves had mated already. Kai had told me it's nothing to be embarrassed about, that it was normal amongst them, and it helped with unmated males and females to not flirt or mess around with a mated wolf. Apparently mates tend to get really jealous. Guess that explains his reaction to the waiter on our first date. When I brought it up to Kai I could tell he was embarrassed. He said he fought every urge inside him to not pummel the poor guy, and I admired his control over his instincts. It had to be hard for full breeds to not move as quickly with their half breed mates as they normally would with someone who was a full breed.

Wow that's a mouthful.

Luckily Phoebe was home for the night so she offered to do my hair and make up. She was currently working on my hair, tying it into a low loose bun. I told her a bun would show more of my back and chest, and of course she responded with "that's the point" and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes at her but decided to let her do her thing.

"Just so you know, this is a ball, so I'm not holding back on make up." She says adding the final touches to my hair. She left a few strands of my curls to frame the sides of my face, and when I looked in the mirror I was definitely impressed. The strands left loose from my bun framed my face nicely, and the bun looked elegant.

"Don't cake me" I whine already knowing what she meant by "not holding back".

"You're getting caked babe" she says shrugging at me from the mirror in front of us.

I sigh and once again decide to let her do her thing.

In the make up process it felt like it took longer than my hair. I made a joke and asked her if I was that ugly, and I received a rough punch on my shoulder.

"Okay so close your eyes and don't squeeze your face up"

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked confused

"Don't scrunch like your nose and shit" she says waving her hand in my face.

"I'm gonna spray your face with this mist, it's gonna keep everything together"

"Wait your gonna-" I'm cut of when I feel a sprits of water on my face. I scrunch my face at the weird taste in my mouth and cough.

"Don't scrunch your fucking face!" Phoebe yells.

"You fucking sprayed me in the mouth" I say sticking my tongue out and wiping my tongue on my hand then trying to wipe it on her.

She smacks my hands away and we start laughing.

"Come on one more spritz, I don't want my hard work to melt" she says laughing.

I smile and nod.

After she sprays it she fans my face.

"Wow that feels fresh" I say.

"You're such a freak" she says chuckling at my response.

"Okay keep drying your face but get up and go get dressed, Kai should be here soon" she says pushing me off the stool.