Chapter 38

Rain gently began wiping her tears away, biting his lip. She stopped crying suddenly. Jack....had betrayed them? And what about Boris? She shook her head, looking at Rain before a rustle came from the bushes behind him. They froze, Rain not daring to turn. A lantern was lit and the stranger showed itself.

A flat chested girl stepped out of the bush, her wild pink eyes blinking their lush, long eyelashes. Her hair was almost the same shade of her eyes, curling at the short tips. She was quiet pretty. But Viola knew now that looks can be deceiving. She held eye contact with the strange girl who wore a dirt stained white tank top and brown shorts.

"Come...with me. You look like you've had a long evening. I have shelter and food. There's protection in numbers." She had a somewhat deep voice for a girl with a small rasp, like she wasn't used to talking much. Viola looked at the stranger's hand before taking it and looking at Rain, who in turn nodded. They walked behind the thin girl's figured for about twenty minutes before she turned.

"My name is Jamie. And yours?"

"Viola. That's Rain." She again met Jamie's eyes. Jamie's eyes screamed of mental strength and brokenness, reminding her of some one else. A person with orange eyes. She blushed at the most recent conversation between them before again shaking her head.

There was a dim light ahead under a tarp that was held up by two wooden poles. Jamie led them under that and into a small hole in a stone building's wall. There were about twenty kids sleeping on the floor, all various ages. Jamie set the lantern down and walked over to an old, beaten wardrobe before pulling out three blankets, laying them on the ground.

"Please rest. We have watches guarding every angle. I promise you that you are safe here." She sat down on her blanket before a shadow pounced on her. It was a young boy with light brunette hair and matching eyes, about eight years old.

"Jamie! Yay!" He whisper-screamed. Jamie looked annoyed at the young boy before pulling him off.

"Gah! Kanto! Shoo, the new people need to rest." She made shooing gestures with her hands. Kanto giggled.

"You're just cranky 'cuz they don't know that though yer girly lookin' that yer a boy!" He laughed. Jamie pounded his fist on the boy's head. Viola blinked in shock, having the same reaction as Rain.

"Yeah, I know I look like a girl. But I ain't weak." He frowned and looked away from the two. Viola scooted closer and put a calloused but soft hand on his cheek. He turned in shock, eyes wide.She gently stroked his cheek, her own eyes never leaving his face.

"You don't have to be a girl...." She whispered. "To be beautiful."
----------
Hey! I know this chapter is REALLY short and I'm REALLY sorry, but you'll like the next/last few. I wanna give a major shout out to my homie kelley.jessica13 (I think that's the username, but go follow her) for helping me design next chapter. It means a lot and I'm very excited. I can't wait! So thanks!
~Alice Invidie

JAMIE THE DREAM EATER.