Chapter 40: BETRAYAL

AN:

Okay, first things first. While I LOVE that you guys are reading it and are always excited for updates.... There are people I know (who I know from school, etc.) who have nagged me EVERY TEN MINUTES. Now, I tend to be tolerant and these people know who they are. Please remember that I've been having a rough time lately. Life hasn't really been going my way and another reason is because that the person I based Rain off of, who was a very close friend, died recently. So it's been hard to write and I apologize for making you wait so long but..... At this rate, I might not be able to publish much at ALL this summer because I'm also visiting my grandparents in Florida. Please be aware of this. Thanks so much for reading!

~Alice

- - - - - -

She saw it coming. But she still....thought it was a joke. A late April Fools joke, anything. It took Jamie and Rain dragging her away for her to realize.....

That is wasn't.

__________

They had entered the base and we're working through the maze of hallways. She passed an open door and out of the corner of her eye, she saw a tuft of white hair. Boris. She back tracked and sure enough, it was him. He was in horrible shape. Bags under his eyes, tousled hair, he was pale, scrawny, and bruised. His usual bright orange eyes....looked like they'd given up. She muffled a cry of shock.

He held a large gun and was dressed in a uniform. He looked miserable and like he wanted to die, like he couldn't take it anymore. Viola never thought she'd see that look in his eyes. Memories came rushing back. From when they saved Manae, when they had became friends. There were tears in her eyes now.

The doctor tending Boris walked away into another room, giving Viola her chance. She ran inside towards him, hugging him tightly. She felt him stiffen slightly before wrapping his arms around her too. He was shaking a little.

"Viola.... you must leave. Now." He said, his voice coarse and serious. She stared at him in silence for a minute.

"Yes. I must leave and I'm taking you with me. No arguing." She stated plainly. He sighed in a worried, agitated way. There was a loud exploding sound like the one they'd heard at the academy nearby.

"Ack! Jamie was supposed to wait...." She mumbled. Boris's eyes widened. Not good. Not good at all. The sound came again, this time louder and closer. It sounded like it was almost in the hall Viola came from. Boris had a million thoughts in just that second.

'I can't let her explode. I can't go with her. I can't let her know what they've done. Alright, that leaves me with half an option and improvising.' He thought, nervously biting his lips. 'As for me... Last words? Eh, I guess it doesn't really matter.'

He grabbed Viola as another explosion sounded behind him, blowing off the door.  He walked over to the window as she struggled.

'"Boris, put me down! Don't you dare! Boris!" She yelled, thrashing and slamming her fists furiously on his shoulders. He smiled a very broken smile.

"See ya later, Viola. It better be a long time, or I just won't be able to forgive you. And it better be a happy long time. Bye!" Boris threw her out the window. Just as the building exploded, him still inside.