Chapter 39: ENTER THE DREAM EATER

Thank you sooooo flippin' much Jess! I'm so happy you helped me design the costumes! And, just to show it off, I'm putting that as the pic for this chapter. Next chapter's cover will (hopefully) be the uniforms in color. And by uniforms I mean the ones for this chapter. Also, Jess, your request is done! Should I be really really mean with it or..... Well, your vote!
~Alice

They slept well that night, warm because of the surrounding children, and with full stomachs too. They awoke early in the morning with smiles. By the time they were up, more than half the kids were gone. The rest were up and cleaning, cooking, playing, or doing other chores. It felt like family already. Jamie walked up with a grin and the eight year old from the night before on his shoulders.

"Guess what! I lost a toof!" He said through the older boy's pink hair. Viola smiled at him.

"Wow! How cool!" She giggled at his gentle, large and excited eyes.

"My name's Ric! Nice ta meetcha, pretty lady!" He showed a toothy grin and Jamie rolled his eyes.

"Hey squirt, don't you have to help with laundry?" Jamie looked up at Ric, who pouted and nodded. Jamie let him down and sighed as the little one ran off.

"So.... I saw the place you ran from. I assume you wanna do a rescue mission?" He scratched the back of his neck.

"Really? You'd help us?" Rain chimed up behind Viola. Jamie nodded.

"Yup. I don't have anything else to live for but this place. Besides, you need lots of help. Let's get you measured." He guided the two through a small maze of surprisingly clean hallways.

"Jamie, honey, how are you? And who are those two?" A old woman sat at a dimly lit sewing machine and called out without turning around.

"I'm doing great, Suzi. These two are new. We need to do a rescue mission for a team of about eight. Can you help us with uniforms?" His expression never changed as he replied.

"Why of course. Get the team ready whilst I measure these two." Suzi grabbed a measure and turned around. Jamie left to do as he was told and the old woman walked to Viola.

"My, what a fit young woman you are." She said, measuring Viola's waist and shoulders, then her hips and feet. She didn't look up once. Suzi walked over to Rain and began measuring him the same way.

"There. That should be good. Now, where is that boy? I hope he hasn't grown again." She fussed over her sewing machine, setting the measure down.

"Thank you very much, Miss Suzi." Viola said cheerily.

"Anytime dear. Anything for some one who needs anything." Suzi began to him as she spooled black thread. Jamie came in with three more girls and boys. Their names were Lis, Katy, Nicole, Eric, Strat, and Tom. They were each fast and cunning.

The eight began training. Five days went by of this before they were ready, as was their new uniforms. They walked into the sewing room where Suzi met them, a bag over her hunched shoulder.

"Wait your turn as I teach the others. Viola, you're first. Come this way, dear." Suzi pointed to chairs for the others before leading the black haired girl to the dressing room.

"Alright, go ahead and strip down to your under clothes. Leave the tank top and shorts on." Suzi instructed. When Viola hesitated, the old woman lifted her head. Her eyes were white.

"Don't worry. I can't watch you even if I wanted to." The woman then tilted her head back down and Viola did as she was commanded.

"How did you sew? If you can't see?" Viola hoped not to be rude by asking.

"I don't know me self. Put this on like you would any other clothes." Suzi handed her the leotard-like fabric, which Viola easily slipped into, surprised it fit perfectly. She then slid on the harnesses and belts, then the boots and other gear.

"Not to bad for an 88 year old blind woman, Eh?" Suzi grinned at her handy work and helped Viola fit the rest on.

"This is amazing!" Viola was quite impressed. She walked out to show Rain, who marveled too.