Chapter 32: Burnt near death

As Boris cut the net, Viola untied Manae. Manae thought there was something odd about these two. One of them went from wolf to human to back, and the other was just... weird. She seemed nice, but at the same time seemed like she felt different.

"You two are weird.... But I'll come with you." Manae said, finally sharing her opinion about the two of them abducting her.

The three of them started up the stairs when Boris, having been in front, stopped. He put a finger to his lips after he turned to face the girls.

"Those two went in here to disturb the goddess!!! I swear it!" A male voice shouted. "See? Why else would there be a giant gap in the floor?"

"... They're still here. Let's find and kill 'em." Another male voice said to the other. As soon as the three heard the second man's first sentence, they froze and held their breath.

"Or..... Let's put this down. We'll make a new home for the goddess, since it'll get nice 'n' toasty in this one." The first laughed. Viola could see the flickering light of a torch. It dropped to the floor, and she put a hand over her mouth to prevent the scream about to pour from her mouth, and Manae did the same.

The flame started spreading quickly, and the two men walked out laughing and talking about what to do next. As soon as they were out of hearing range, the three started to run up the stairs that had already caught fire. Once up sairs, they all gasped.

Almost the entire room was on fire, and Viola saw tears in Manae's eyes. She coughed from the smoke.

"Run!!! Follow me!" Boris shouted. The girls obeyed, watching carefully where he stepped and doing the same.

A peice of burning wood fell from above. 

"Viola!" Boris shouted, tackling Viola to the other side. Manae ran over. Only Boris got burnt.

"Are you okay?" He asked Viola, coughing. Viola's eyes were wide as she looked at Boris in shock.

Boris was burnt on both shoulders, his legs, part of his left cheek was cut, and his back was burnt. Viola got up and grabbed his hand, trying to pull him up until he yelped in pain.

"Boris... Why did you save me?" She whispered quietly with tears in her eyes. He laughed.

"First off, I'm your familiar. Second, you're my best friend. I swore when I was assigned to you I wouldn't let you get hurt, even if it meant my death." He said. His voice sounded strained, and Manae's eyes started glowing.

"What're you-?" Viola muttered. Manae put her hands over Boris, and he yelped in pain agian, cringing with pain. His wounds started to heal, but the smoke was thick and Viola couldn't stop coughing. Boris got up, wobbling. Manae had healed him, even if only a little.