Chapter 5

Viola didn't like the looks of Candy. The brown rat glared at her and Boris as if she were five, and they told her to take a nap after cleaning her room. It was as if she didn't trust them to not harm Jack. Viola could see why; after all, Boris did just try and swallow Jack whole. But she didn't understand why she was glaring at them like that. Jack had said it was fine, but was it?

"Do you know where room 134 is at?" Viola asked, trying her best to ignore the glaring rat. She pulled out the map that Mr. Duncan had given her, but she still couldn't find her room.

"Oh, yeah. You were pretty close to it when Boris tried to eat me. Come on," he said smiling. He led her to her new room, and she thanked him.

"If you ever need help, or anything, come find me in room 264. See ya, Viola!" He waved good bye. Viola noticed that Candy was still glaring at them.

Viola shook the image of the creepy rat from her head and opened the door. Viola stared in awe at her new home.

The bed was a queen-sized, deep magenta color with white pillows. The window was a few inches right from the bed with a stunning view of the garden, and matching curtains to the bed. The floor was a dark cherry wood, and the walls were a cream color. The wardrobe in the right corner of the bed was a lighter color that the floor, making it stand out while still matching the room. Mr. Duncan had told Viola to make herself at home and feel free to redecorate. She took the advice.

She hung posters of her favorite band, Flaming Wing, on the walls, put down her favorite plush red rug on the floor in front of the bed, and a whole bunch of other decorations and furniture.

By the time she was done, it was 5:30 in the afternoon, meaning she had half an hour to prepare for dinner. Dinner was said to be a large feast every night, with a very large variety of foods.

Viola decided to wear a cute aquamarine colored sundress with big daisies on it. She loved the dress; it had been her mother's.

Her mother had died of unknown reasons 4 years ago, when Viola was only 10. Her father had never really been home, so her mother raised her. When her mom died, though, her father took more time off work, but he was still clueless. Viola had been the one cleaning and cooking on top of her school work when she went to a normal public school.

The reason she was here was because of the public school. She hadn't had many friends, and was constantly bullied. Viola was tired of being bullied, and the bullies only got worse. She was being pushed when it happened. She shoved back, and he went flying into the lockers.

"Do you mind?! Seriously, I've tolerated you for over a year, and it only gets worse! Well guess what, I've had it! You picked on the wrong girl to much!" She'd said, her normally green eyes red. The principal had called her down to the office and called her father, asking him if he knew his daughter was an Assigned one.

Her father hadn't known. But now he did, and now she was here. At the same time she was sad that her father would do that to her, she was happy to leave. She was tired of being all alone. Her mother accepted that she was an Assigned one, and in fact, was actually happy. Why couldn't her father accept her?

The thought brought Viola to tears. She then remembered that she forgot to put the most important piece of furniture in her room. She placed the picture of her mom on the night stand.

The woman looking back at her looked like an older version of Viola. She had shoulder length black hair and blue eyes. She was truly beautiful, and a few of Viola's dad's workers had said that she would look just like her mom. That made her happy, but every time she looked in the mirror she saw not herself, but her mother, Jane Thompson.