Chapter 28: The Fire

Boris and Viola quickly located the room they were to go to and entered. They opened the door.

The room was pitch black except for a single light that eliminated a metal circle device. It looked dangerous and the small hairs started to rise on Viola's neck. She shivered.

An instructor in a white lab coat stood next to the evil-looking contraption.

"Good morning. I suppose you two are Boris and Viola? Come here" he said. Viola saw a name tag on his clothes that read Brian Armicallo.

"Mr. Armicallo? What is that?" Viola asked, hoping her voice didn't shake.

"Hm? Oh, this little toy? That is a TM. A teleportation machine. You will be using it to get to London." He replied, gesturing to the circular object.

Boris and Viola looked at each other, then back to the TM. Their hands were linked.

"Hit the red button once next to the TM and you will go to London." Brian said, tossing a gray remote to them. "Don't lose the remote or you'll be stuck there."

Boris and Viola had also received a map to show where they needed to go. They walked toward the machine and Boris hit the button.

Everything was a flash of purple and maroon, swirling around and around, making the two dizzy.

The world seemed to have stopped moving, and they stood in front of a evening town house. Boris pulled out the map. The small red circle around a house was glowing, and Boris guessed they were there.

The house was almost the same color as the clouds, a deep, depressing color of grey. It was large and looked like an abandon mansion that children would walk by on Halloween and think was haunted. Pieces of the shingling on the roof hung off like razor blades, waiting for the next victim to walk under them.

"Well..... We should probably go inside." Boris said. He had a bad feeling about this place, and his bad feelings are never good.

"Yeah. I'll get a flashlight." Viola said. Boris looked at her with a confused face.

"Where are you gonna get-- Oh." Viola always kept a flashlight in her bag, which shed brought with them. In her eyes, the best two things the flashlight provided was light (duh) and a whacky-upside-the-head-stick. They both worked well.

Viola walked forward and turned the door knob. It squeaked loudly, and Boris notices one of the neighbors' lights flick on. He quickly pushed Viola inside and shut the door, which squeaked again. It was dark for a second, until Viola used the flashlight.

" What was that for?" Viola asked quietly.

"The neighbors' light turned on. I was afraid they'd see us." He replied, panting. She nodded. She looked at the deep entry way. It was a long, dark hallway with a long dark red carpet to match its mood. There were only shattered mirrors and blocked up windows on the blunt grey wall.

"Wow. Isn't this depressing." Boris whistled. Viola nodded and beckoned that they should advance forward. Boris followed behind Viola, trying not to let his footsteps make the floor creek in protest. They got to the living room. It was nothing different from the hallway.

"So.... We're looking for.... Ghosts?" Viola asked, and Boris shrugged, just as confused as Viola seemed.

"I guess." She said, stepping forward. The floor screamed horribly in protest, then made a sound that sounded like a hundred dogs snapping their jaws in unison.

The floor broke beneath their feet.

--------

Viola woke up coughing and choking on dust.

"Boris. Where are you?" She asked, her voice wheezing. She was laying on something warm. Viola sat up, aware.

"Right....here." Boris muttered. It sounded like Boris was underneath her. She got up to see Boris laying on the ground, covered in dust.

"You okay? You look.... Squished...." Viola asked, looking at Boris in a concerned way.

"Yeah. I'm okay. Just a little... Sore..." He said, pausing as he got up. He winced.

"How did you get under me, anyway? And why are you covered in debris if you were under me?" She asked.

"Well. When you fell, I landed under you to break your fall, but then I saw debris falling and went to cover you. Then I laid back down, but you rolled over." He said.

------

AN-

Sorry it's so long! It's not even done yet! :0