Chapter 10

As Boris explained the familiars to Viola, she couldn't help but smile. 'Its truly amazing.' She thought. She found it amazing how they could change forms, cast magic, all to protect their "masters".

"But if it takes up too much adrenaline or energy to do something, the familiar gets weak, right? Then why haven't the Officials of the Familiar Society made some kind of artificial energy for the familiars to use, like coffee?" Viola asked, looking at her coffee pot that sat on the counter on the other side of the room earnestly, now wanting a cup of coffee desperately. It was probably because it was 11:32 at night.

"That's the thing. They've tried, but it didn't end well. The entire lab they were testing in exploded, with everyone inside it." Boris said, shaking his head.

"Oh. I'm sorry...." Viola said sympathetically. She looked down gloomily. She wasn't very good with people.... At all. (Is Boris considered a human? Yes, because he can shift into one.)

"It's alright," he replied, ruffling her hair. "Get some sleep. You have a big day tomorrow." Boris smiled at her as she lay down on the bed. He then turned into a wolf and jumped to the floor, curling up in a large circle of white fur.

Boris's P.O.V.

The truth was, Boris hated how they had used real live familiars to test the energy. He hated everything about it, from the scientists, to the patrol officers, to the fact that familiars were taken from their homes without any idea where and why they were being taken.

Even though he wasn't even supposed to know about the experimenting, he had a reason he knew. The families of the familiars were told that their family members were ill, but Boris had known better. He knew that Ari was perfectly healthy. He knew Ari had fought back. He knew where Ari was. He knew what had happened to Ari.

But he didn't want to think about that now. Boris sighed. He rolled over and closed his eyes. He then fell asleep.