Chapter Three: The Assigned Ones

Viola stared up at the large metal gate, wondering how big the academy was and how she would find her way. Boris looked up at her and whined impatiently.

"I know. Let's go inside." Viola smiled, and picked up her bag. She opened the gate, allowing Boris in ahead of her. She then walked inside the gate, hoping that she would be able to fit in here. Or at least better than back home.

She pressed her lips together and stared up at the large black brick building with amazement and wonder. Boris followed her gaze, and then did something Viola found quite odd for a wolf to do, as if having a wolf for a pet wasn't enough.

Boris stood up, picked up Viola's bag, and started walking towards the building. Viola stared for a moment, confused, and then followed.

"For some odd reason, this place feels safe. It sure doesn't look that way, though...." Viola thought, wondering if she really would be safe here. She sure hoped so.

Boris dropped the bag at the front doors, and sat patiently for Viola to open the door. She did, and he again picked up the bag.

"Good evening. I suppose you are Mr. Thompson's daughter?" Viola whirled around to see where the rumbling voice was almost a purr, and a voice that seemed good at projecting across large areas. The man was tall and bald at the top of his head. He had gray hair around the sides of his head. He had pale blue eyes that had a vibrant, kind aura. He barely had any wrinkles on his face, and he was wearing a welcoming smile that made Viola feel even more at home.

"Yes. I'm the daughter on Adam Thompson. I'm Viola. Nice to meet you." She said as politely as possible. She looked at Boris to see if he sensed any danger from the man, but there he sat, wagging his tail, his tongue sticking out of his open, panting mouth.

"Hello Viola, and welcome to Anra Assigned Academy. I'm the headmaster here. You can call me Mr. Duncan." Mr. Duncan looked at her observantly. He then looked to Boris's direction.

"I see you've already found your familiar. What have you named such a pretty white wolf as this?" He asked, petting Boris between the ears, which he seemed to like.

"His name is Boris. He came to me through a dream, and when I woke up, there was the same wolf sitting next to me on the Sateron. He's been following me, and I enjoy his company. Can he stay? Please?" Viola looked at him. He smiled at her and the wolf, whom had now trotted over to her side, as if he understood them.

"Of coarse, and even if your familiar weren't allowed here, we wouldn't have a choice but to have him here and except him. You see, your familiar cannot ever be separated from you. And actually, most of our students have already discovered their familiar. However, I have never once seen a wolf as a familiar. How strange..." He said, looking at the wolf as if it were the most interesting science project he'd ever seen.

"Your room number is number 134 in hall X. Here's your key." He handed her a small key and a piece of folded paper. It was a map of the building so she could find her classrooms and her bedroom.