The Assigned Ones

She heard the roar of the beastly monster behind her, it's large fast steps crunching on the fallen leaves of the trees. She heard her own footsteps, her fast shallow breaths, saw the end of the forest ahead, saw the bright light.

Viola awoke with a start, her breath as shallow as it was in the dream. She sighed heavily. " I hate that nightmare...." She mumbled tiredly. It was the seventh time she'd had that nightmare. Viola still didn't know what was chasing her in the dream, only that it was large and fast. She had tried to look behind her, but she found that she wasn't in control of her own body in the dream, only that she was running.

"I should probably get up now. After all, today will most likely be a very long day. Much to my delight." Viola thought miserably. This wasn't her choice to start with, let alone one she liked. At all.

Her father, Adam Thompson, was forcing her to go to a private academy meant for her kind, her race, the Assigned Ones. Though there weren't many of them, they were spread around the country of Anra, and even then were good at not being noticed, blending in, being normal. Viola was an exception, only because her father had notices, and because she had made a mistake of who to trust.

Viola had never really had any friends, and always seemed to prefer solitude. Or at least, that's how it was to others. Viola finished packing her bags and getting ready just in time to hear her father's coarse voice echo up the stairs.

"Viola, are you ready yet? We have to be at the Sateron Station in twenty minutes!" He said. Viola sighed again. " I'm just glad he didn't say why. Since mom left, he's been clueless." She thought impatiently. She grabbed her bags and walked downstairs.

"Yeah, I'm ready." She replied. Viola walked out the front door to teleportation machine. Her father followed, his green eyes looking lost, as if he didn't know what to do or say. Viola walked through the pulsing blue rays and disappeared. Her father followed.

Author says:

Sorry it's so short! Keep reading, chapter two comes out soon! Hope you like it! 😀

~ Alice Invidie ~

Chapter Two: The Journey

Viola watched as the Sateron floated quickly between the pylons, it's steel belly scraping the concrete floor with a loud screech. The Sateron was made of blue steel, like the bullet trains from the books Viola had read. Though those were in the Past World, the Saterons were based off them, except they fly and are faster.

"All boarding Sateron 33, the Sateron leaves in 5 minutes. Thank you." The inter com said with a woman's voice. Viola looked at the large mass of steel she'd be riding for the next 23 hours. She couldn't wait until this journey ended.

Viola sighed and looked at her father with her calm, steady green eyes. Her father looked at her as he felt her eyes burn holes through him.

"I hope your going to be happy, now that mom left us a year ago, and now your forcing me to leave you too. Bye." Viola quickly hugged her father and ran to the pylon to board. She blinked back her tears. She hated this. She boarded the Sateron, and put her bag next to her in the seat room she sat in. Viola sighed for what seemed like the thousandth time today.

The Sateron's whistle blew, signaling that they were going to lift soon. After about an hour after they'd left, Viola fell asleep.

Viola heard the beast yet again behind her. She finally realized that she could now control her movements. She stopped running, and whirled around to face the creature haunting her sleep. It was a wolf, a white one with bright orange eyes.

"But..... Wolfs have been extinct since the Past World...." Viola mumbled, confused. She wanted to tear her eyes away from the fiery eyes facing her without a trace of fear, but she couldn't. The wolf then bowed its head, it's eyes never leaving hers. Viola decided to do something that all books she'd read about wolves had said to not ever do.

She started to walk towards the beast, her right hand up, trying to signal that she wanted peace between her and the creature. The wolf trotted toward her, in what seemed like a very enthusiastic way. Viola closed her eyes and held her breath. She then felt something warm and fuzzy touch her hand. She opened her eyes, only to see that what was said to be a dangerous beast sitting at her feet, her hand between its pointy white ears. She gasped, and moved her hand slightly back and forth in a petting motion. The wolf seemed to like this, for he licked her hand great fully.

"It's just a dream..... Nothing can hurt you in a dream, right?" She asked herself quietly. She then awoke on the Sateron, only to still the the fur underneath her palm. She looked into her lap, and there sat her dream wolf, taking a nap in her lap.